is the garage trying to take me for a fool??!!

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: johnh

Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2006 (06)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 34000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

I bought a Citroen c3 1.4 desire a few weeks back from a used car dealer, it has been back to them on a few occasions with faults, the latest being a noise that I thought may have been the alternator or belt tensioner (high pitched whirring noise similar to a passing bus!) after promising to sort it yesterday, I called at 4pm to be told it would be today (sun) as parts came late blah blah, "it will be finished for dinnertime sun at the latest" dinnertime came and I rang and rang, no reply, left a snotty voicemail and the mechanic called me back an hr later. According to him the problem was the waterpump tensioner and they had to replace that along with a waterpump, im presuming that a timing belt should have been included in this??
Anyways I just had them trying to tell me that the new water pump has to be coded to the car and they will have to get a local diagnostic firm to do it tomorrow morning??! I`m no mechanic but I smelled a bit of bull sh$t! I asked him 3 times to repeat what he had said as I was in disbelief, or is he by any remote chance telling the truth?? I have warned him that I cannot afford to not have my car back tomorrow as im already taking the day off work. I travelled to this garage and it has cost me each time, public transport and cadging lifts from family etc, never once have they offered a courtesy car, if these faults continue, could I demand my part-ex vehicle back and get the rest of money back from them which I payed out for this piece of junk? Shame really as its a 2006 model with just 1 previous owner and 33k
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi johnh

The belt marked 8 is the timing belt, the water pump is driven by this, which is marked A, the timing belt tensioner is marked 9
citroen c3 1.4 8v petrol waterpump and timing belt
citroen c3 1.4 8v petrol waterpump and timing belt

and this is the water pump from the 1.4 8v petrol

No electrical connectors, so no programming needed ;)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: johnh

Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2006 (06)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 34000
Trim Level: Desire

Just as I suspected! Thanks very much for your help :-D