Interior heater fan not working

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: screeminjesus

Contributor

Hi everyone,
I hope you can offer me some advice on the heater fan in my wifes Pluriel. Basically it isn't blowing. The indicator lights up to indicate the speed of the fan but nothing is happening. I've tried it on various settings (auto, manual etc) but nothing. The fuse is ok and there' voltage across the fuse terminals but that' as far as I can get. I bought a workshop disc off ebay but it's been no help whatsoever.
Thanks, Jed
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi screeminjesus, welcome to the C3 forum.

I recommend the haynes manual, Its not specifically for the pluriel, but the pluriel and hard topped C3s share many parts and systems.

Pick up a copy of the C3 C3 Haynes Manual (from here).

There shouldn't be voltage 'across' the fuse terminals, unless the fuse has blown. Removal of the fuse and a visual inspection of the fuses involved or a continuity/ohms test will give you a solid field to work on.

There are several different diagrams depending on the engine fitted to the car and the air-conditioning or climate control option fitted.

Let me know which engine (petrol/diesel) and air-con, climate control, air con or no air con and the year of the car.

(air con had 3 knobs) (climate control has no knobs, only buttons and an LCD display)

If you have a volt meter, I would be looking for voltage across the heater motor terminals (access after removing the glove box). This will give you an undertsanding as to which side the fault lies (fan motor bust or control/power system bust)

Contributor

Thanks for the prompt response.
I'll look for the manual next time I'm in Newcastle.
I checked the fuse with a continuity tester and got a positive indication for continuity. Then I put the probes into the fuse holder and got a reading of 11volts.
Not too sure about the different systems but according to the handbook it has automatic air conditioning. There's a digital display with three buttons down each side and fan speed and temperature setting buttons underneath.
Engine wise it's a 1.6 petrol and was registered in 2006. I wasn't too sure where the heater motor was but now I know I'll try and get the glove box off tomorrow and have a look at it.
Once again thanks, Jed

Guru

Hi Jed,

Your C3 pluriel has climate control, (with its own climate control computer):

Fuse to check is F18 40A in the engine bay (if it exists on your model, definitely worth a look, but may not be there)
and Fuse F1 10A and F8 20A both in the engine bay fuse box (depending on model, but these should be there).

There is a post for fuse box locations here

If the fuses check out, I would look for power to the fan motor and/or, power on Pin 5 (red wire) on the 15 way black connector on the climate control computer panel (climate control panel computer is in the picture at the top of the post).

If its no power to the motor, then there is a whole list of things that make up the climate control system, a C3 Haynes Manual from here would be invaluable.
My Name: cineo

Contributor
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 125000

hello to all. Excuse me if dusts off this post but I have the same problem. I have a 2003 C3 with the fan is not working and I hope to find the solution here. I came to the point that I have to test the control panel of the air. I managed to disassemble it without making a mess. That has highlighted the plug on the control panel.
DSC_0158.JPG
Does anyone of you tell me with which the socket cable bridge can I do to start the fan?
thanks

Sorry for my english

Guru

Does anyone of you tell me with which the socket cable bridge can I do to start the fan?
It make a different on which system you have...

Automatic Aircon (Climate control) like this:

Basic Aircon

and there is one that has NO air-conditioning.

Contributor

I have basic aircon.

Contributor

The new question has reminded me to update my situation. Having gone two winters without a heater I eventually got round to buying a new resistor pack and installing it in October (2013). IT WORKED!! My wife is so happy to have heat she has'nt realised it's taken me two years to fix the bugger. Thanks to all for contributing. Cineo I hope you resolve you problem faster ;)

Contributor

I hope to resolve quickly. The resistor pack I've changed, but nothing to do ...
Now look what he has to tell me C3driver52.

Guru

cineo wrote:Does anyone of you tell me with which the socket cable bridge can I do to start the fan?
thanks
The fan is supplied with 12v from the engine bay fuse box. It is switched on by grounding pin A4 on the control panel connector (according to the diagrams I have here).

A4 can be seen marked on the socket, its very small writing, but look for the black wire, then double check; Row A, Column 4

Ground A4 should get the fan to spin if the engine bay fuse box is supplying its 12v.
(it will need the computer signal to get the BSM - engine bay fuse box relay activated, switch the ignition on)

I assume you have checked all the fuses in the engine bay fuse box first?

screeminjesus wrote:Having gone two winters without a heater I eventually got round to buying a new resistor pack and installing it in October (2013). IT WORKED!!
Thanks for the update, seems to be quite a common problem, with thankfully a quite simple fix. It's as if Citroen had an idea there may be problems because they only fitted one screw to hold the resistor pack in place. :D