HID KIT

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: saad-jay

Contributor

Hi all

Could i fit hid kits to my c3? Are they legal? has anyone done it before?

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Could i fit hid kits to my c3? Are they legal? has anyone done it before?
I did look into this before and, yes, they do fit the C3, and not difficult to do,

but they are not 'legal'. They are only legal if the car was originally fitted with HID.

The other problem is that HID should have a washer system for the headlight, so if you don't have this already, then you will fall foul of the construction and use regulations again....

But, who is going to check what lamps you have fitted? The MOT tester is only going to check its aligned correctly.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Arfur Dent wrote:But, who is going to check what lamps you have fitted? The MOT tester is only going to check its aligned correctly.
As of the start of this year MOT testers will take an interest in HID bulbs, at first they seemed to go easy but increasingly I've heard of more 'instant fails'.

As well as the issue of headlight cleaning you would also need to fit automatic headlight levelling, automatic self levelling suspension will also be OK.

If you fit HID bulbs in a reflector designed for a filament lamp the beam pattern will be wrong, you can buy CE approved HID kits which won't overcome the previous points but do overcome the beam pattern. They come at a price, all the ones I've seen are in the £100s.

Also bare in mind the quality of what you're buying with the kits on eBay, these are China's finest.

In relation to the law, especially if you drive in towns, HID lights are brighter and a different colour to filament lamps; the boys in blue know what's right for most cars, I've seen an increasing number of people pulled over for roadside checks, in fact I saw one lad last Saturday doing an un-install roadside under the supervision of a copper.

And finally, don't forget to tell your insurance company, I'm sure they'll want to know that your car no longer meets type approval. If, and I hope it never happens, you were to be involved in an accident, you give the insurance company exceedingly good grounds not to pay up. Remember the section on your insurance proposal form that you signed which said "has the vehicle been modified in any way?"
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

[quote=Missing Lincs]As of the start of this year MOT testers will take an interest in HID bulbs, at first they seemed to go easy but increasingly I've heard of more 'instant fails'.[/quote]
Thanks for the update on this. My research was a bit out dated.

[quote=Missing Lincs]I saw one lad last Saturday doing an un-install roadside under the supervision of a copper.[/quote]
Its good to hear these stories first hand, thank you for sharing :)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

This page has some useful information and links.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol: