Help me break in to my C3?

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: GinettaMan

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 40000
Trim Level: LX
Gearbox: Flappy paddles
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Old post I know but I have to fix my mums car as she is nearly 80 and she keeps getting locked inside her car which is very dangerous. Now on the central locking multi plug how do I know which number each pin is? Can anyone anyone post a picture diagram of the PIN numbers so I can unlock the 3 stuck doors? Next week I'll try to find a second hand power board to swap over in the bsi. Thanks
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

GinettaMan wrote:Old post I know but I have to fix my mums car as she is nearly 80 and she keeps getting locked inside her car which is very dangerous. Now on the central locking multi plug how do I know which number each pin is? Can anyone anyone post a picture diagram of the PIN numbers so I can unlock the 3 stuck doors? Next week I'll try to find a second hand power board to swap over in the bsi. Thanks
Hi GinettaMan,

The pin numbers are often marked on the actual plugs. Its very small and they are part of the plastic moulding of the plug. You may have to remove the plug to find them.

The C3 Haynes manual (on amazon) has some good diagrams for electrical connectors.

It will be interesting to hear how your BSI board swap goes :)

Contributor

Couldn't see any obvious numbers and will check if she has a Haynes manual. Wire colours to pulse for each lock would also be useful if anyone has a manual handy? Would like to add a bypass switch in case she gets stuck inside again. Scrap yard closed as I arrived yesterday sadly so it will have to wait.

Contributor

BSI relay board swapped and now it's fixed. H
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

GinettaMan wrote:BSI relay board swapped and now it's fixed. H
Good news, great work :)

Thanks for the update.

If anyone else comes across this, can you give an outline of what is required to do the 'BSI relay board swap' you performed?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Guru

Arfur Dent wrote:If anyone else comes across this, can you give an outline of what is required to do the 'BSI relay board swap' you performed?
The BSI Board swapping, central locking relay identification and wire colours for the 3 pins are available to read in this topic (Central Locking BSI Repair)
My Name: tontonjon

Year: 2004 (54)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hello!

I've been following this thread as I have the same issue. However, I am reluctant to start pulling the BSI apart and was wondering if anyone has gone down the dealer diagnosis and/or reinstallation of the software. This is the route that my local garage mechanic said to take.

Our C3 hasn't opened since we returned from holiday. The only issue apart from the door problems is a low battery level, but it wasn't so low that the car didn't start. It doesn't make sense to me that a low battery would cause a relay to fail. OR has the relay failed anyway and the low battery is just a red herring? I installed a new stereo and swapped the power wires around as required; the car has been working fine since I fitted it last October, so I'm pretty sure that's not the issue (unless there is a time-lag).

Finally, I have tried looking for a relay board for sale but can't find the right one; can anyone help?

Thanks!

Jonathan

Guru

tontonjon wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:52 pm Finally, I have tried looking for a relay board for sale but can't find the right one; can anyone help?
I am not aware that you can buy a relay board as a separate item. What you have to do is butcher up a known working BSI and transplant the relay board from that into your prepped faulty BSI. There info is in this topic somewhere.

Find a suitable BSI from a similar year and spec (so 2002-2005 or 2006 to 2009) etc, heave a look for one in this link to BSI units on ebay.

It's either that or take the whole kit of BSI ECU and KEYS then reprogram the whole lot with lexia tool but that can be a long job.
My Name: Chitrun

Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Trim Level: VTR+

Hi, here we are again in 2022, the same problem as has been posted for many years! Yes, I can only enter to driver side with a key and when it locks inside you are stuck in it - so dangerous. I bough thte little car for my daughter to learn to drive so I just want to have the doors open without risk of them locking.

Anyhow I read with interest and I can see that there is a fix to get them open by sending direct 12v into the plug, I tried this but NOTHING happened. I am using a piece of wire directly off a 12z battery and sending +12V to 15 and earth to 13 to unlock but nothing is happening. I'm wondering if I am doing something wrong? is this what you mean by sending 12v pulse?

Any help really appreciated.
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD

I don't know which way around "lock' and "unlock" are but pins 13 and 15 must be connected to power and ground.
That is; 13 positive, 15 negative(ground) or 13 negative (ground) ,15 positive. Looks like 13 positive & 15 negative = lock, 15 positive & 13 negative = unlock.

The relay contacts in the BSI burn out and the relays need to be replaced. Either replace the relays or get a replacement BSI and swap the relay board.

Another tip is; don't dead lock the car.