Help me break in to my C3?

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Anie

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 40000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: SensoDrive
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Congratulations on providing such accurate and helpful advice. Four years after you cracked the problem your solution remains as useful as ever and worked first time with a single correctly applied pulse.It was beyond the local garage who wondered about taking the door panels off the locked doors, and the Citroen agent wanted £90 merely to look at the car.

The only point I would add to help others is that to swing the BSI down to get at the grey plug one must free three plastic clips at its front as well as turn the white plastic lever on the right handside from vertical to horizontal.

Before using your technique to free all the deadlocks I had already exposed the cable from the main wiring loom to the drivers side rear passenger door and undone the connecting plug. Applying a pulse to the red and green wires on the plug on the door side then freed the outside door handle; I was so relieved thatt I didn't keep a record of the polarity. One can't do this on the nearside locked doors because one can't get at the cable.

I remain horrified that Citroen have made such a potential death trap with no well publicised or simple solution.While initially exploring the problem I locked myself into the car and could only get out by yellling for my wife and handing her the key through the window. If the electric windows had failed I would have been entombed.

My most grateful thanks.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Anie wrote:Congratulations on providing such accurate and helpful advice.
Thanks. Well done in using it to get your C3 unlocked/locked.
Anie wrote:The only point I would add to help others is that to swing the BSI down to get at the grey plug one must free three plastic clips at its front as well as turn the white plastic lever on the right handside from vertical to horizontal.
Yes, this is not so clear in the forum. There are some new photos added which will hopefully show what is required as you described.

They are the BSI from below, showing the clip that need to be pressed to release the BSI after the white flag has been disengaged

and a closer view of the clip

My Name: mahatma

Model: C3 Pluriel - with or without roof
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4
Mileage: 80000
Gearbox: Automatic PRND

Hello
I have the same problem with C3 3 door version. The doors are constantly in deadlock mode. I had to smash the right hand side latch mechanism to open drivers door as it was not opening at all and there was no lock barrel on the right hand side just on the left. As there is only 2 doors i do not think so that there is a child lock there and additionally both doors are in constant deadlock. they will close nicely with remote but than you can not open it from inside or outside. Any advice what to do?
My Name: boycey

Year: 2005 (05)
Mileage: 56000

Hi

My Wife has a Pluriel and has CL problems, i have read as many posts as i can find.

When unlocking the boot unlocks, but the two main doors stay locked.
Use the key on passenger side (only one with key lock) and the door unlocks, drivers side is still locked and cant be unlocked from inside.

I have changed the battery in fob.
Charged car battery up. symptoms still the same.

Next used the matrix and removed the big multi plug next to fuse F16. put earth and 12v between 13 and 15, and doors unlocked.

So i have no removed F16 so the car can not be locked.

QUESTIONS
1. Is this looking like a BSI (relay) fault? if so i read that there is a BSI shutdown process.... I can't find this any where.?
2. Is there anything else i should do before suspecting BSI.?
3. If it is BSI is RENMAN the best place to send?

Thanks in advance
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

boycey wrote:QUESTIONS
1. Is this looking like a BSI (relay) fault? if so i read that there is a BSI shutdown process.... I can't find this any where.?
2. Is there anything else i should do before suspecting BSI.?
3. If it is BSI is RENMAN the best place to send?
If its not the BSI, then its the signal to the BSI or its path to the BSI.

BBA Reman can test the BSI for you if you tell them the symptoms and can usually repair BSI faults.

To diagnose faults use the lexia diag tool to monitor the signals seen by the BSI.

You have proved its not the wiring to the central locking motors or the motors themselves by doing your 'put earth and 12v between 13 and 15' trick.

If you have lexia you can also fit a known working second hand BSI and configure it to a Pluriel as a substitution to test the Central locking. Only problem is, you won't be able to start the engine with the wrong BSI fitted but at least you have proved if its at fault.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: boycey

Year: 2005 (05)
Mileage: 56000

Thanks Arthur

I dont have Lexia diag tool. is there any other way of confirming if there is a signal going to the relay?

Am i right in thinking there are two relays for central locking both the same YH119?
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

boycey wrote:I dont have Lexia diag tool. is there any other way of confirming if there is a signal going to the relay?
Not that I am aware of or needed to do. I purchased lexia and use it for each fault and code reading at servicing time. Well worth the money and time, many times over for me.
boycey wrote:Am i right in thinking there are two relays for central locking both the same YH119?
The relays are in the BSI module, some are solid state devices, others are classic mechanical relays, I don't know which ones are for the central locking. Even getting into the BSI module can be difficult and there is more than one version of BSI found in the various C3 models over the years and software updates are made available to them for reasons known to Citroen.

This is the topic shows what's inside one of the BSI units on the Citroen C3 early models.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: fraz101

Contributor
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 80000

My c3 has a similar fault

The child lock button on the dash won't stay activated after i have locked the vehicle and left it for a period of time. (when i go back into the car i have to switch the child lock button back on)

Any ideas as to the fault?
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Mileage: 140000

If your fault it down to a bad relay in the BSI as opposed to a bad key fob switch or a bad door solenoid, there is a possible fix in this topic for repairing the BSI by swapping the relay board with a known working one inside the BSI, preserving immobilisation, settings, VIN, remote fob and mileage etc.

Don't even read the above if you don't have the original C3 factory stereo fitted and are having Central Locking problems, particularly after a few hours of locking. Firstly, remove the aftermarket stereo and any associated aftermarket wiring and test the car again with the stereo removed. Its a well known fault that and incorrectly installed aftermarket stereo will break the remote central locking fob system.
See the swap wires over on Citroen C3 stereo to fix central locking topic.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Mileage: 140000

fraz101 wrote:My c3 has a similar fault

The child lock button on the dash won't stay activated after i have locked the vehicle and left it for a period of time. (when i go back into the car i have to switch the child lock button back on)

Any ideas as to the fault?
Child Lock
I am not surprised this times out with the key removed. Are you sure its a fault you have or just a feature?

Central Locking Button
central locking button on a Citroen C3 2002-2005
central locking button on a Citroen C3 2002-2005
If this is playing up, you may have BSI problems.