Heater panel illumination not working

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: samstagmoonyham

C3 Master
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

I have purchased a 2003 c3 1.4 HDI 16v SX with manual air conditioning, somebody has installed an aftermakret CD player which im not sure if that is relevant to the situation, my problem is that whilst the air conditioning on light (small green light) the heated rear window and air recirculation on lights (small orange lights work), the actual illumination of the panel does not work so at night i can not see the heating, fan speed or ventilation switches nor can i see the a/c, rear window or air recirculation buttons, the other lights come on when i switch on the sidelights, like the hazard warning button and the central locking button but not this heater control panel, after taking out the storage box under the CD player i can see a disconnected yellow socket but once again i am not sure if it is relevant, wiring is not my strong point lol. Thank you for looking.
20150504_141428.jpg
20150504_141415.jpg
20150504_141400.jpg
20150504_141353.jpg
20150504_141348.jpg
20150504_141312.jpg
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Trim Level: Exclusive

samstagmoonyham wrote:I have purchased a 2003 c3 1.4 HDI 16v SX with manual air conditioning, somebody has installed an aftermakret CD player which im not sure if that is relevant to the situation, my problem is that whilst the air conditioning on light (small green light) the heated rear window and air recirculation on lights (small orange lights work), the actual illumination of the panel does not work so at night i can not see the heating, fan speed or ventilation switches nor can i see the a/c, rear window or air recirculation buttons, the other lights come on when i switch on the sidelights, like the hazard warning button and the central locking button but not this heater control panel, after taking out the storage box under the CD player i can see a disconnected yellow socket but once again i am not sure if it is relevant, wiring is not my strong point lol. Thank you for looking.
The yellow wire is part of the aftermarket radio install. Its power for either the battery backup for settings, or the one that powers up the radio during normal use.

The air con panel has lamps in it that should illuminate the panel. When these blow, the panel can become dark.

Remove the A/C panel to replace the lamps

The arrows point to the screws that hold the panel in place

Some of these lamps will sort you problem (if you click here)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: samstagmoonyham

C3 Master
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Trim Level: Desire

hi, thanks for the reply, i tried undoing those screws and pushing the heater control unit out and up but its really stuck in there, should i push harder or will i break something, also you say the yellow lead is for the power or something for the aftermarket radio so shouldn't it be connected or is it just there for some types of cars with different wiring? thanks :)
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Trim Level: Exclusive

samstagmoonyham wrote: i tried undoing those screws and pushing the heater control unit out and up but its really stuck in there, should i push harder or will i break something,
Push harder, but also check for clips that are visible that may be stopping it from moving.
samstagmoonyham wrote:also you say the yellow lead is for the power or something for the aftermarket radio so shouldn't it be connected or is it just there for some types of cars with different wiring? thanks
It all depends on what radio you have and how it was fitted. Just see if your radio is working as expected. If its OK, then there is nothing to worry about with the yellow wire.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)