Heater motor

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Missing Lincs

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Pmillard wrote:Now is there any way to test if this is the faulty part or not?
Testing won't be easy as its essentially a black box relying on coded signals to make it work. What may be possible is to test the motor by connecting power to it directly on the plug that came off the controller. To do this 100% safely you'd need the circuit diagram to know which pins to connect together. An educated guess might be possible, the main power wire will be thicker and be at 12 volts with the ignition on (assuming power is reaching the controller, testing for this might be useful anyway), the wire to the fan motor will also be thicker. Without seeing what's there and a bit more knowledge of the workings of the fan circuit it something I might do on my own vehicle but I wouldn't advise to wing it - a 40 amp fused circuit makes a big spark!!
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

If it is the controller, good news, it seems to be a widely used part, its also used by Nissan and VW. A quick Google and I came up with several, here's an example from a well known auction site clicky
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:
My Name: Pmillard

Contributor
Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2010 (10)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 40000
Trim Level: Exclusive

Ok, ordered the part and it arrived today.

Swapped it out and still have the same problem, no heater fan.

Swapped parts back over and the heat sync on the back of the controller was physically hot so i guess that means it was working.

Any ideas how hard / stroke easy it is to get the heater fan out or is right about now the point i need to be taking it to a garage?
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Pmillard wrote:Any ideas how hard / stroke easy it is to get the heater fan out or is right about now the point i need to be taking it to a garage?
Its going to be time consuming, rather than 'difficult'. The motor is tucked well behind the centre console.

Doing some testing on the motor in situ would save time in removing it and finding it working.
Missing Lincs wrote:What may be possible is to test the motor by connecting power to it directly on the plug that came off the controller.

If you can get to the back of the motor via the glove box or foot well, you may be able to see the colour of the wires going to the motor and trace them back to the controller that you changed and try Missing Lincs's trick to power up the motor.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Pmillard

Contributor
Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2010 (10)
Mileage: 40000

OK finally got this little problem sorted.

Ended up having to take it to the dealership as our local garage couldn't get the wiring diagram for the car.

Turned out it was the resistor that was at fault.
And the one i got from ebay did fix it.

Not sure why it didn't work when i fitted it though.
The dealership fitted the one that i bought and all works fine now.

Thanks for all your help!!!
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Thank you for the update