Heater console illumination

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Krankshaft

Hello all.

How do you get at the console illumination for the heater/blower controls in the C3 Desire model. This is the centre console below the stereo.
I'd like to get mine working again as I can't see the settings on these dark mornings!

Not sure if the bulbs have worked loose as they are intermittent depending on the size of the pothole in the road.

TIA
Krankshaft
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi Krankshaft

To get the air con control panel out, you need to remove the radio, these tools may prove invaluable

remove the radio tool on a Citroen C3
remove the radio tool on a Citroen C3
[/url]

C3 Radio Removal Keys - very cheap to buy.

Then, with the radio out, you can pop out the cubby or the drawer or even remove the cd multi changer using the keys (depending on your spec).

This will give you access to the top of the control panel and the clips to remove it.

You may find you don't even need to remove it, but rather just wiggle to connectors to get the illumination to stay on.

Please do let us know how you get on! (and please post a picture of the child lock relay if you see it on your journey behind the dashboard)

Good Luck!
My Name: Krankshaft

Thanks for the info.
Found a couple of the removal tools in the toolbox (left over from replacing as stolen Vauxhall radio years ago).
Took out the little storage box and found that it concealed two torx screws which I removed.
I pushed the connectors firmly but the illumination didn't come on on the dials.

Explored removing the console but thought I'd get back on here and ask the next question...
Which part of the console is supposed to come loose and if there are any other firm fixings before I get out the crowbar!
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi Krankshaft,

You removed the 2 screws at the top of the air con control unit, there should be 2 locating lugs also.
(The picture above may help)

You need to push the top of the face of the control panel and release the locating lugs.

This then should allow you to raise the control panel to release a pair of lower mounting lugs.

This should free up the air con control panel.
Citroen C3 heater control panel removal
Citroen C3 heater control panel removal
My Name: markflip

Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 63000
Trim Level: SX
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Just had this same problem, in a bit more detail, remove radio and cubby tray below it (secured by a plastic lug either side), there are 2 x T20 torx screws securing the heater panel below the cubby tray. Remove these and 'outside' the two screw locations are plastic tabs on the heater panel which can be gently levered to release the top of the panel 'into' the void behind it and it can then be lifted up. There is only one electrical connection, removing this makes it easier to move the panel, but without releasing the control cables for the vents/heat and recirc you have to work with it in situ, but without the radio and cubby tray there's just enough room to work in.

There are 2 x small bulbs in black plastic holders, one each side they don't have wires going to them, they look like black plastic 'pegs' sticking out of the back - by turning the vent and heater controls you can improve access to these, they turn 90 degrees anticlockwise and pull out, the bulbs are 'standard' tiny dashboard bulbs which are a tight push fit into the holders.

Dropping one of the bulb holders is definitely something to avoid as it has just taken me half an hour to locate it by stripping out the whole of the gearlever surround etc :oops: