Heated rear window ,, Broken elect tab... Glue?

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: keved

Top Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 108000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

One of the 12v supply tabs to the rear screen heater has fallen off,
photo.JPG
Dont fancy soldering as I am bound to crack the glass, and super glue or araldite is not conductive. I have seen some "wire glue" but the seller tells me not really suitable for HRW ( heated rear window) , probably due to the heat and/or current ( 20amp?). Also seen some 2 pack conductive glue via Farnel electronics , but dont fancy the £54 price !

Any one got any ideas on how to get the spade connector re-attached to the window?

My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

I've soldered these in the past, so far I haven't cracked any glass. Its always a risk though.

When I've done these I use a gas soldering iron which is equivalent to a 250 watt electric one. My theory goes to heat the joint very quickly so very little heat goes into the surrounding glass. Also, if you heat the 'track' on the glass too much the glue melts and it lifts off.

Where the wire is connected permanently to the metal connector I replaced it with a connector which has a 1.4" blade then crimp the wire onto a new connector and push it on the tab after soldering. My idea here is not to have a thick wire in place which will take heat from the joint. For the last one I did I used solder paste. This worked well as you can use it to hold the tab in place as you heat it. I still used a solder wire just to 'wet' the joint for heat flow.

I don't think any of the conductive paints will work due to the current involved and they're not mechanically strong enough to hold things in place.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+

How about some of this if you don't fancy soldering.

If you do solder, bag yourself a flux pen to make the HRW foil nice and clean for soldering.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1

The glue option looks great, looks like its not available in the UK though. Hopefully that will change soon.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Top Contributor

I orderd some special glue and a spare tab from the usa www.frostfighter.com ... total cost was $49usd inc delivery. I know its just arrived at the uk as customs want £12,, bugga !
Will let you know how I get on

Top Contributor

the special glue from www.frostfighter.com worked a treat . Heated rear window tab now firmly back in position and HRW working.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+

keved wrote:the special glue from https://www.frostfighter.com worked a treat . Heated rear window tab now firmly back in position and HRW working.
Good news, thanks for the update :D

Top Contributor

Can't wait for the icey weather so I can "show off" my heated rear window. Sad eh :-)