Headlight stuck

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: C3B3LLA

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 99000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: Yes

Hey everyone! Sorry to be asking so many questions, but my 03 c3 1.4 hdi has developed a new problem whereby the motor that dips the headlights according to where you set the little dial only works on the passenger's side. The other headlight appears to be stuck.

I have tried adjusting the little white plastic adjuster next to the headlight under the bonnet but nothing happens. The headlight is blinding and I am unsure how to lower it.

I don't mind if the motor is broken, I never use it, but I would like to manually lower the driver's side headlight if that is possible.

Thanks!
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

C3B3LLA wrote:Hey everyone! Sorry to be asking so many questions,
Questions are good :)
C3B3LLA wrote:but my 03 c3 1.4 hdi has developed a new problem whereby the motor that dips the headlights according to where you set the little dial only works on the passenger's side. The other headlight appears to be stuck.

I have tried adjusting the little white plastic adjuster next to the headlight under the bonnet but nothing happens. The headlight is blinding and I am unsure how to lower it.

I don't mind if the motor is broken, I never use it, but I would like to manually lower the driver's side headlight if that is possible.

Thanks!
This link has some pictures of the adjusters (also included below). The metal one at top centre adjust the level manually and the white gears are linked to the motor and adjust the level as if the motor was turning.

My Name: C3B3LLA

Contributor
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 99000
Trim Level: Desire
DPF: Yes

The plastic cog appears to do nothing, no matter how much I turn it in either direction, and I don't think I can get to the metal bit with any of the tools I have - it's a little bit inaccessible.

Is there anything else I could try?
When I turn the dial from inside the car, I can only hear the motor working on the passenger's side. Is there a particular wire I should be looking out for to get the motor working on the driver's side too?

Still unsure why the plastic cog hasn't done the trick to be honest.

Thanks
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

C3B3LLA wrote:I don't think I can get to the metal bit with any of the tools I have - it's a little bit inaccessible.
I would just put a socket on it from the 3/8" box, like this one, it may be easier with the extension bar.
C3B3LLA wrote:Still unsure why the plastic cog hasn't done the trick to be honest.
The lower plastic cog is part of the motor, so if turning the cog does nothing, you can assume turning the motor will do nothing. I would guess the plastic inside the light has broken so turning has no effect.