headlight not working

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: jamie6688

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

my drivers side dipped headlight has stopped working. I have changed the bulb and still doesn't work. the fuse is ok but still tried a new fuse and doesn't work with the new fuse and bulb either. The connection to the bulb looks fine, no corrosion and there is no water leak or damage.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?
help would be greatly appreciated.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

jamie6688 wrote:my drivers side dipped headlight has stopped working. I have changed the bulb and still doesn't work. the fuse is ok but still tried a new fuse and doesn't work with the new fuse and bulb either. The connection to the bulb looks fine, no corrosion and there is no water leak or damage.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?
help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi jamie6688

I understand you have checked the fuse, but I would double check you are inspecting the correct fuse, try swapping like for like of the 4 fuses that protect the lights at the front (F9,F10,F11,F12) as its easy to be confused. See if the headlight that doesn't work moves to the other side, check you have connected the lamp holder to the lamp correctly. As you have found, the access is very restricted. If its not the fuse or the lamp, you are in more expensive and difficult to diagnose territory, so its best to double check these first.

https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... -t157.html

https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... -t134.html
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: jamie6688

Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VTR+

ive changed fuses 9 and 10 as they are the ones for the bulb not working but still didn't work.
I never done 11 and 12 as they are for a different bulb.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

jamie6688 wrote:ive changed fuses 9 and 10 as they are the ones for the bulb not working but still didn't work.
Then its the BSM (engine bay fuse box) that is probably faulty if the wiring from the BSM to the lamp is OK - easy to check the wiring from the plug on the BSM to the lamp plug, use a cheap multimeter (here) for continuity testing.

You can't really fix the BSM, its a bit of a black box and much easier to fit another from a scrapped car, the BSMs are often found here - on ebay

jamie6688 wrote:I never done 11 and 12 as they are for a different bulb
You may be surprised at the number of people who confuse dim dip with main beam, that is why I suggested you check all of them, just in case ;)

The Haynes manual has the wire colours and plug connector numbers in the wiring diagrams to allow you to test the wiring before replacing the BSM.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)