Headlight Adjustment

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Today's job is to find out why the headlight levelling device doesn't work and use a hair-dryer on the condensation inside the lens. Although all new to me, it's quite an adventure being a C3 owner, isn't it!

Thank you for the update ronniemac37

tips-for-any-citroen-c3-f8/water-in-the ... ts-t4.html this post shows the cover that, when incorrectly fitted allows water into the headlight.

The motor that levels the headlight is inside the headlamp unit, nice an low down and gets bathed in water when the headlight fills up. You can't get to the motor at all, although its held in by screws the screws are totally inaccessible.

This is a rare picture of the motor/solenoid drive fitted to the lamp housing:
Headlamp motor citroen c3 for levelling
Headlamp motor citroen c3 for levelling
My Name: ronniemac37

Contributor

Sorry, I seem to have wandered off the topic. Thank you for the picture. I am now wondering what the two nylon cogs inboard of each headlight can be for. I applied WD40 and gently rocked the upper ones to and fro using an Allen key - thinking perhaps the spindle had seized. I seem to be backing the wrong horse on that one as there was no response from the headlights. I have replaced the main beam bulbs (on offer in Poundland) and one dipped bulb (small hands) and would like to adjust the beam. Is there a manual alternative for the adjustment do you know? Thanks for your help and interest. Regards Ron
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

The white plastic gearing in the picture is directly linked to the servo/motor on the opposite side of the plastic housing. In theory you should see the gearing move when the electrical adjustment is taking place.
headlight adjuster gearing for motor
headlight adjuster gearing for motor

and this one shows the hex head adjuster that is not connected to a motor, just coupled to the reflector. This looks like the manual adjuster, but be careful, over adjusting breaks the cheaply made plastic parts that it couples to.
Manual headlight adjuster hex head Citroen C3
Manual headlight adjuster hex head Citroen C3

I am sure this topic will get split off to its own home before long to keep things nice and tidy.
My Name: ronniemac37

Contributor

Many thanks for the pictures and explanations. I am very wary of the plastic problem and treat every aspect with care. I am the second owner of this 2004 car - the first being a lady who seemed to drive it for a year and then have faults looked at by a Citroen dealer at MOT time. Now that the car is cleaned up, taxed and tested and running well, I think I will cease to interfere with it! It would be nice to find (make?) though, a cover for the half of the switch that gives the performance (computer?) read out. It is missing and scrap yards up here in the Highlands tend to crush cars rather than give the opportunity to hunt for 'bits' like used to be part of the fun of having an old car.
Thanks again for your interest and prompt replies. Regards. Ron