has a very annoying habit of boiling its brakes

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: mikeytrav

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 70000
Trim Level: Rhythm
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

hi guys, im hoping somebody here can help me out a little.

I've had my 53 plate c3 for three years now and have grown quite attached and don't really want to get rid, but it has a very annoying habit of boiling its brakes quite easily when i do a lot of driving on country lanes, and i do that often. so im looking to fix this problem.

now i know that the problem is heat, or more to the point lack of cooling. and on my 1.4i the setup isn't ideal and is defiantly built for budget. standard it has a solid brake disk and steel wheels. so ive plan on getting some alloy wheels shortly to aid airflow, that should hopefully help.

I've seen brake bore up kits on the internet that cost a fortune and don't think that it is necessary, and don't really want to throw that kind of money at it.

but I've also seen that some higher spec c3's have vented disks, or at least that euro car parts sell them, and that's the route id like to take. but im guessing my callipers wont fit? would i be able to get some bigger callipers from the scrap yard and buy new disks and pads? but im not sure what model of c3 to look for, or even if the bigger callipers will fit onto my car.

if anyone could shine some light on this I would be very grateful

thanks, mike
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi mikeytrav

Boiling brakes is normally due to water in the brake fluid... I assume you have had the brake and clutch hydraulic system completely flushed and refilled with fresh DOT4 ?

As for the vented front discs with the wider callipers, I know for sure the 1.4 16v Diesel exclusive has them and I think you will find all the 1.4 16v oil burners will have the vented discs. They also have the solid discs on the rears.

It may also be worth looking at the 16v 1.4 petrol version as that has vented fronts too.

mikeytrav wrote:I've seen brake bore up kits on the internet that cost a fortune and don't think that it is necessary, and don't really want to throw that kind of money at it.
You could go for a complete pair of front legs from a suitable 16v, including the upgraded calliper, vented discs, hub etc from a scrapper or ebay to make a simple swap over.

Front caliper (54) and vented discs on a 16v HDi 1.4 C3
Front caliper (54) and vented discs on a 16v HDi 1.4 C3
Vented discs, Calliper is marked '54' found on a 1.4 HDI 16V 2002. You may find the callipers for solid discs are marked '48'.

Some pictures of the standard issue alloy wheels found on the C3 can be found in this topic citroen-c3-questions/tyre-size-t520.html

Thanks for reply, I'm going to have a look around a few breakers today and see what I can come up with. After doing a bit of research it seems both the 8v and the 16v use the same hub so I'm guessing the mounts are the same for both size calipers, so I could just get the caliper without the rest and buy new disks and pads.
Thanks again
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

mikeytrav wrote:Thanks for reply, I'm going to have a look around a few breakers today and see what I can come up with. After doing a bit of research it seems both the 8v and the 16v use the same hub so I'm guessing the mounts are the same for both size calipers, so I could just get the caliper without the rest and buy new disks and pads.
Thanks again
No problem.

It would be great if you would let us know how you get on. Some before, during and after photos are always welcome :)

unfortunately my little project got put on hold. within an hour of my previous post I almost severed the first two fingers on my right hand, and im right handed.

but once healed ill get back too it and remember to take a few pics
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

mikeytrav wrote:unfortunately my little project got put on hold. within an hour of my previous post I almost severed the first two fingers on my right hand, and im right handed.

but once healed ill get back too it and remember to take a few pics
No pictures of the fingers please ;) hope you have a speedy recovery.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)