Handbrake adjustment

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: alazy0172

Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:31 am
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 160000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Post

Anyone help with adjusting the two individual cables, one seems to be longer than the other?
User avatar
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Posts: 3433
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 pm
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)
Has thanked: 319 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Post

alazy0172 wrote:Anyone help with adjusting the two individual cables, one seems to be longer than the other?
Hi alazy0172, I assume you have drums on the rear wheels. Before adjusting the handbrake cable, remove the road wheels and the drums and fully check the automatic adjuster for the handbrake cable.

If one cable looks longer than the other it indicates one auto adjuster is working and the other isn't.

Once the rear brakes are operating correctly then you can adjust the handbrake cable from within the car.


citroen c3 brake automatic adjuster rear drums
citroen c3 brake automatic adjuster rear drums
Rear Drum Brakes on a Citroen C3 Diesel - showing the adjuster - thanks to RC3D for the picture!
Rear Drum Brakes on a Citroen C3 Diesel - showing the adjuster - thanks to RC3D for the picture!
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: alazy0172

Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:31 am
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 160000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Post

Arfur Dent wrote:
Hi alazy0172, I assume you have drums on the rear wheels. Before adjusting the handbrake cable, remove the road wheels and the drums and fully check the automatic adjuster for the handbrake cable.

If one cable looks longer than the other it indicates one auto adjuster is working and the other isn't.

Once the rear brakes are operating correctly then you can adjust the handbrake cable from within the car.
Thanks arfur, just had drum off and noticed linings are wafer thin so need to sort that first. Also need to be shown how to use this forum properly I think!
User avatar
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Posts: 3433
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 pm
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)
Has thanked: 319 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Post

alazy0172 wrote:Thanks arfur, just had drum off and noticed linings are wafer thin so need to sort that first. Also need to be shown how to use this forum properly I think!
Ah, that would explain why the handbrake would need adjusting, worn out shoes and the automatic adjuster is probably at the end of its travel. You can pick up new shoes at euro car parts Here).

We don't currently have a guide to changing shoes on the C3, if you can take a few pictures as you go they would be very welcome :)


I tidied-up your post for you :D
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post