Gearshift won't go into 5th or reverse?

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
My Name: 00James00

C3 Master
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (54)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 88000
Trim Level: Touch
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi guys, quick question my gear box will not shift into 5th gear or reverse, to be honest the shift wouldn't go right. It allows me to go into 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th just 5th and reverse which are both located right on my car.

I drive a 2004 Citroen c3
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

00James00 wrote:Hi guys, quick question my gear box will not shift into 5th gear or reverse, to be honest the shift wouldn't go right. It allows me to go into 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th just 5th and reverse which are both located right on my car.

I drive a 2004 Citroen c3
Hi 00James00, I don't think the fuel type is an issue.

You could have a worn gear selector cable, have a look at this topic for a gear cable fix when its sloppy, but may be a similar thing to yours.

Or if its not that, check the other end of the cables to see they are still attached to the gearbox nicely.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

C3 Master

It's crazy because nothing was out of the ordinary I didn't even use the 5th or reverse at time of fault. Where abouts would the other end of the cables be?

Guru

00James00 wrote:It's crazy because nothing was out of the ordinary I didn't even use the 5th or reverse at time of fault. Where abouts would the other end of the cables be?
They connect to the gearbox. You may need to remove a road wheel or the air filter box to get a better look.

The pictures of the ends on the gear selector cable may help, you can see the starter solenoid in one picture so that can help you find them.
Gear Cables attached
Gear Cables attached
Gear cables disconnected from gearbox
Gear cables disconnected from gearbox
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

C3 Master

Due to time I had to take it into a garage today, the garage has said I need a new gear box, there's around 58000 miles on the clock and I'm sure the gear box has been replaced in recent years with previous owner. Could this be the case if all other gears work fine apart from 5th and reverse?
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

00James00 wrote:Due to time I had to take it into a garage today, the garage has said I need a new gear box, there's around 58000 miles on the clock and I'm sure the gear box has been replaced in recent years with previous owner. Could this be the case if all other gears work fine apart from 5th and reverse?
The gearbox is quite complicated and not economical to repair when there are so many low mileage good ones to be found.

As parts fail internally, they affect other gears. You may find its only 5th and reverse now but as the bits of broken gears work their way around other gears will be affected too.

Gear boxes often fail due to a lack of lubricant, is there evidence of an oil leak, from say the drive shaft seals or any other part of the gearbox?

Apart from the gearbox, there is the gear selector stick and the 2 cables. If the stick and cables are fine, you are left with the gearbox itself.

While the gearbox is out of the car, it would be worth inspecting or just changing the clutch. At 58000 miles the clutch should have plenty of life, but, if its done more miles that it shows or has had a hard life it may just make sense to change it while the gearbox is out.

Euro Car Parts can give a price for the clutch kit, have a look here at ECP for clutch kit prices.

Replacement gearbox prices can be found on ebay (here) which would be much cheaper than new.

C3 Master

Thanks for your help.

Due to time I didn't manage to have a look but had someone look over it for me, came to light my gearbox needed replaced which was done at the garage. They replaced with used parts due to price. Thank you

Guru

Thanks for the update :)