Gearbox problem

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: SonOfAnarchy ZA

Experienced Member

Hi guys I've recently got my car back from its service and picked up a problem when the car is cold mainly in the morning it refuses to go into gear when I attempt to gear down I need to be going very slow and force it in there is no grinding any ideas?

2006 1.4HDi manual
clutch was replaced 17000km ago
when the car warms up there is no issue

The guys that serviced it did the following

new gearbox oil was put in
water pump replaced
new shocks
new drop links
new control arms
new brake shoes
oil change
filter change
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

SonOfAnarchy ZA wrote:I've recently got my car back from its service and picked up a problem when the car is cold mainly in the morning it refuses to go into gear
Hi SonOfAnarchy ZA, if a gear box gives trouble only when cold, or only when hot, it would be worth checking the oil as the oil changes as things warm up/cool down. You say the gear box oil has already been changed, but was it the correct oil and why was it changed anyway?

The correct gear box oil is this Total BV 75W80

Other problems with selecting gears are problems with the hydraulic clutch system, gear selectors worn and the clutch return spring.