Gearbox oil fill point

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Raggy

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2007 (57)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 56000
Trim Level: Cool Summer
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

I have just changed my front suspension spring and yes, I managed to pull the driveshaft out and lost some gearbox oil....now have been looking at various info and it seems to differ between how to fill or top up. Mine is a 57 (Jan 2008) plate C3 1.4 petrol. Can anyone confirm how and where to fill it as well as if I have to drain and refill how much oil and recommended oil to use, thanks.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Raggy wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:14 pm I have just changed my front suspension spring and yes, I managed to pull the driveshaft out and lost some gearbox oil....now have been looking at various info and it seems to differ between how to fill or top up. Mine is a 57 (Jan 2008) plate C3 1.4 petrol. Can anyone confirm how and where to fill it as well as if I have to drain and refill how much oil and recommended oil to use, thanks.
Hi

You have the 'sealed for life' gearbox if there is no fill hole, on your year it will be sealed for life.

You need to fully drain it down and fill it with 2 litres of Total Transmission Gear 8 oil.

Filling is by the breather, remove the plastic breather on top of the gearbox and only put in 2 litres to an empty gearbox.

You can't 'top-up'.
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

While there is no reference in the technicians handbook about filling or topping up the gearbox, there is the torque specifications for some plugs, the names of which you might be interested in.
gearbox1.jpg
It could be inferred (you must be the judge) that the oil can be drained through the "drain" plug. Filled through the reverse switch and the level of oil indicated by the "top up" plug.
...and they threw in the 5th gear cover bolts just for good measure. :lol:

Experienced Member

Thanks for the replies, so either way got another pig of a job to do.

Experienced Member

Just thought I would do an update to this, got the oil (well thought I had, ordered 2l but only sent 1 so still not finished. Anyway did look at the gearbox and yes the drain is as indicated, the ‘level’ is just a bolt like any other bold on the box, no indication but comparing to the diagram and removing the relevant one did allow me to push a length of wire into the hole to see if it was a dead end and no, it goes straight in t9 what I presume is the gearbox. When I get the next chance I will drain the oil then fill using that bolt hole. oil will either start to come out of the drain hole or....I must be filling up somewhere else! (Which I Hope not!). If if it fails is there a fill point on the top under what I presume is an air filter? (Easy to remove?).
This car is testing my patience with it. Will update how I get on in case it’s helpful to others.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+

Raggy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:13 pm When I get the next chance I will drain the oil then fill using that bolt hole. oil will either start to come out of the drain hole or....I must be filling up somewhere else! (Which I Hope not!).
The advice is to:
C3CAR wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:02 pm Filling is by the breather, remove the plastic breather on top of the gearbox and only put in 2 litres to an empty gearbox.

Experienced Member

Do you have details how to get to that breather and what needs to be removed? Did ask previously why I could fill it as I think it varied from model to model from what I read.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+

Raggy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:27 pm Do you have details how to get to that breather and what needs to be removed? Did ask previously why I could fill it as I think it varied from model to model from what I read.
Yes, it is in this topic: ma5 transmission breather location

Just top of the gearbox, on a petrol its under the air filter, on a diesel its in under the air filter to turbo pipe.