gear selector problem

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: jonnyww88

Contributor

the problem is my gear stick feels like am stirring a empty bucket up it does go into first gear but there is no reverse atall when i bought the car the gears wer abit hard to find but they where all there i then parked it up at my grandads house for a few days and when i whent to drive it the gear stick was all over the place (i belive my younger brother has been sitting in the car messing with the gear stick but i carnt prove this so im left with a car what i carnt drive now )my question is do i need the whole gear selector unit or do i need the gear selector cables has anyone had this problem before how can i fix this any help is appreciated the car is a 2003 1.4 hdi 70ps thanks
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi jonnyww88, welcome to the forum.

my question is do i need the whole gear selector unit or do i need the gear selector cables
Well, that would depend on which bit is broken. You will need to remove the gear selector unit with its cables to see which part is broken. As you start to dismantle the parts to get them out you may discover the problem before you have removed all the parts. But no one is going to know without looking at the car.

This book will help you with the steps required to remove the gear selector
The good old haynes manual :D (here)
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hello jonnyww88 there is a previous post about a similar problem that may assist you, Citroen C3 difficulty changing gears.typically 1st and 3rd.
My Name: jonnyww88

Contributor

i have found the problem it was a bracket mounted to the gear box holding the gear selector cables in place it was snaped in half (very cheap metal) its a dealer only part and wasnt in stock but a cheap fix at 18.76 :D quite a fidily job tho had to remove battery and 6 electric plugs tray to get acces and a very tight gap to get the bottom 13mm bolt off the bracket (lost sum skin off me nuckles :x ) parts orderd for tomoro mornen so fingers crossed it should be fixed tomoro i will let you know the outcome thanks for the suggestions and help much appreciated