Fuse box

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: m7891

Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2007 (07)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 53000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

I've got a 2007 1.4 HDi.

Having successfully fitted a new stereo, I'm now looking to tidy up my phone charger and sat nav cable by hiding them behind the dash. My intention is to use an "add-a-circuit" adapter to bring out a new ignition feed. But I'm confused by the fusebox.

I've found the fuse box illustrated in the manual (it's well-hidden in the glove compartment) but there's a second yellow strip which is much more accessible and has a single 5A fuse that protects the driver side window and 11 free slots.

My questions are: 1) can I use one of the free slots in this additional box for my additional switched 12v supply; or 2) if not, which fuse in the main box should I piggy-back off (i.e. "nth from the left" or the number from the manual)?
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

m7891 wrote:Having successfully fitted a new stereo, I'm now looking to tidy up my phone charger and sat nav cable by hiding them behind the dash. My intention is to use an "add-a-circuit" adapter to bring out a new ignition feed. But I'm confused by the fusebox.
I fitted mine to the cigarette lighter wiring in the centre console using scotch locks (like these), crimps and an extra fuse - like this
citroen C3 power taken from cigarette lighter
citroen C3 power taken from cigarette lighter
(its a 2002 model, but I am sure its similar to later models)
m7891 wrote:I've found the fuse box illustrated in the manual (it's well-hidden in the glove compartment) but there's a second yellow strip which is much more accessible and has a single 5A fuse that protects the driver side window and 11 free slots.

My questions are: 1) can I use one of the free slots in this additional box for my additional switched 12v supply;
There is very little known about the yellow strip additional fuse box, its seems to be an afterthought :?: .

If you wanted to find out a bit about it, like which ones are connected/live when the ignition is on/off, just stick the red lead of a multimeter - here set to VDC while grounding the black lead. You can then build up a 'map' of which ones carry 12v and when they become live.

m7891 wrote:or 2) if not, which fuse in the main box should I piggy-back off (i.e. "nth from the left" or the number from the manual)?
There is a picture in citroen-c3-tips/2007-to-2010-facelift-g ... -t153.html which more clearly identifies the fuse numbering system and it may also give you an idea on what to piggy back from.

You will want to pick something that has some spare capacity, I picked the cigarette lighter and power socket because the cigarette lighter is not in the car and therefore never used and the power socket is designed for that job.
F9 (30A) Cigarette lighter, clock, interior lighting, vanity mirror
Would be one to look at.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

Wow, Scotch Locks look incredibly simple. That looks like the best way to go, given the relative locations of what I want to connect and the awkwardness of accessing the fuse box (but I'll still test the yellow strip out of idle curiosity if nothing else).

I had a look at the wiring to the cigarette socket and there's two - green/yellow (ground, obviously) and pink. I can check with a multimeter, but presumably pink is live? Can a Scotch Lock be used on the ground as well for, well, grounding?

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the additional fuse for? Isn't the whole circuit protected by the one in the fuse box?

Guru

m7891 wrote:Wow, Scotch Locks look incredibly simple. That looks like the best way to go, given the relative locations of what I want to connect and the awkwardness of accessing the fuse box (but I'll still test the yellow strip out of idle curiosity if nothing else).
Sure, if you test the yellow strip fuse box you are welcome to add your findings to the fuse box diagrams topic.
m7891 wrote:I had a look at the wiring to the cigarette socket and there's two - green/yellow (ground, obviously) and pink. I can check with a multimeter, but presumably pink is live? Can a Scotch Lock be used on the ground as well for, well, grounding?
Test and test again to be sure you have correct live and ground and yes, of course, scotch lock to the ground wire too. The thin wire is probably the illumination, fat wires are going to carry more heavy current.
m7891 wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but what's the additional fuse for? Isn't the whole circuit protected by the one in the fuse box?
Yes, the whole circuit is protected by the fuse in the fuse box.

The extra fuse is just 'belt and braces'. By spurring off (with the scotch locks) you create a sub-circuit, if you fuse each sub circuit, (and you get the fuse ratings right), and there is a fault, the sub circuit fuse blows and not the main one. That way you only loose power to the faulty circuit and not the whole circuit that is protected by the main fuse.

You can see this being used in the factory installed citroen circuit where larger capacity fuses feed several circuits, which are each protected by their own fuse. It starts at the MAXI fuses in the hidden engine bay fuse box.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

I've had another look at the socket definitely has only two wires - pink and green/yellow. The pink wire is quite thick so it would fit the profile of a current-carrying wire. There's no light on the socket so nothing needs illuminated.

I'll look closer to see if there's an exposed part of the pink wire at the point where it joins the socket then test with my multimeter.

Edit: definitely just the two wires and the pink one is providing 12v ignition-switched. Just need to solder the fuse holder and ground to the new socket and I'm ready to tap!

Contributor

All done and working as expected. Extra 12v socket with 5A fuse, with a dual USB adapter feeding sat nav and phone. All hidden under the gearstick panel.

Very simple to do.

Guru

m7891 wrote:All done and working as expected. Extra 12v socket with 5A fuse, with a dual USB adapter feeding sat nav and phone. All hidden under the gearstick panel.

Very simple to do.
Thanks for letting us know how it went. :)