front washer and wiper not working

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: shug

Contributor

i have c3 1.4 lx diesel. my front wiper and washer is not working, but the back wiper and washer is working, i have tried the fuses (not that) got another comm unit (not that). so i have still got to try the wiper motor, question...........does the wiper motor also affect the front windscreen washer if motor is broke
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Welcome to the Citroen C3 forum, shug.

Its sounds like you have been on quite a journey.

I am assuming you have a RHD 2002 shape car.

My first thought is, that you missed a fuse.

The front washer and front washer pump are fused by fuses under the bonnet and in the glove box see the Citroen C3 fuse box locations topic, with pictures.

It worth removing the fuses and testing them with a meter as sometimes they look ok, but have actually failed :(

If you don't have access to one, a cheap one like this Digital Multimeter testing tool (amazon) will be fine for the job. The meter will also allow you to test the system before you change parts.

Fuses to check (or just change) are F8, F14 and F17 in the engine bay fuse box, and F7, F14 and F11 in the glovebox/BSI

The front wash wipe and front wash pump are independent, but are closely connected by the fuses and relays in the engine bay fusebox.

Citroen C3 tester for washers and wipers not working fix
Citroen C3 tester for washers and wipers not working fix
Circuit testing tool for wiper and washer circuits.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

thank you for your help, i have crossed reference the fuses you have mentioned with the pictures, but cant see the ones you advised to change, i can only see 10,30,40
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

i can only see 10,30,40
The numbers you gave are fuse ratings, not fuse numbers.

My numbers proceeded by an 'F' indicate a fuse number, not rating.

Do you have a 2002 shape car, a facelift model or a new shape car? as the fuse boxes change on each model.

There are 2 fuse boxes to look at (I gave the link to the pictures of their location).

Which fuse box have you checked?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

the diagrams is the same as my fuse box i have tried the one under the bonnet also the one under the glove box, i am going to try the wiper motor as an elimination process, but how can i test it as its a plug that slides in to a socket on the motor, thanks again.

Contributor

i have an 2004, 2002 shaped c3,

Contributor

can you give me the link for the engine fuse reference (picture) so i can try the ones you stated for under the the bonnet, going to give the fuses another go, before i try anything else, thank you, much appreciated
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

shug wrote:can you give me the link for the engine fuse reference (picture) so i can try the ones you stated for under the the bonnet, going to give the fuses another go, before i try anything else, thank you, much appreciated

There is currently no layout diagram on the site of the early C3 for the engine bay fuse box. The C3 2002 to 2006 engine bay fuse box layout diagram is here.

The fuse numbers are embossed in the black plastic body of the fuse box on the car. Near each fuse you will find the fuse number.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

shug wrote:i am going to try the wiper motor as an elimination process, but how can i test it as its a plug that slides in to a socket on the motor, thanks again.
to test the system right up to the point of the wiper motor connection, pull off the plug and measure the voltage across the plug while using the stalk to operate the wipers. Same for the wash pump.

If you get 12v at the plugs, then you can be pretty sure the motor or pump is faulty.

If there is no power at the plug, then a fault lies in the circuit before the motor or pump.

When I get home, I will add the pin numbers for the wipers, so you know where to expect 12v with the wiper switch 'on'

Contributor

thank you for your help, i just got an auto electrician out and he said after doing all the checks, he said its the actual fuse box unit thats stopping the switches and the wiper and washer from communicating so he has rigged up a temporary switch just now on the dash, i will have to live with it just now, at a later date he is going to do an elaborate one, but once again thank you