front washer and wiper not working

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: shug

Contributor

hi, just a thought, before i noticed i had a problem, i had the bonnet up and i started the engine, maybe i activated the switches from inside the car, would that deactivate the washer wiper system, i noticed the auto electrician was looking for some kind of switch under the bonnet, maybe it has reset itself,
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi shug

Thank you for the update on the progress.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: martyn.pope13

Hi I also have a 2002 C3 auto with Wipers that dont work.

I applied a multimeter to the Motor plug and got no output, I have checked all fuses and they are all ok. Rear wiper works, and the Diags show no error codes.

Please can some one help here? this occurred when my wife used the wipers when they were frozen, and since have not worked

Thanks

Martyn
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

this occured when my wife used the wipers when they were frozen, and since have not worked

I can guess you didn't check ALL the fuses, its worth checking relevant fuses with a multimeter, or just replace them, visual inspection can be misleading.

Test F17 Engine bay fuse (30A Windscreen wipers - Front)

Fuses in the engine bay fuse box

find the engine bay fuse box from this post:

I assume everything else electrical works as it should?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: bill sutton

Experienced Member

Can I join the party? I too have front windscreen wiper death with all fuses intact, only some times it works, for about seven wipes, then freezes. Tried only using the single wipe function to get me home in the rain, but again, seven wipes and their out.

tested at the motor plug, one earth, one constant 12v with ignition on and two wires with no discernible signal which are presumably control feeds from the BSI.

I really don't want to go down the trial and error route at £130 for a new motor, which probably isn't at fault

Any suggestions.

Oh and the heater fan isn't working but the LCD and temperature controls do.
My Name: bill sutton

Experienced Member

If you get 12v at the plugs, then you can be pretty sure the motor or pump is faulty.

If there is no power at the plug, then a fault lies in the circuit before the motor or pump.
Hi, at the wiper motor I am getting constant 12v on pin 2 (with ignition on), pin 1 goes to earth, but no signal on the remaining two? From the diagram it looks like they both go two relays in the engine bay fuse box? but I can't see them, are they replaceable? and are they controlled by the dreaded BSI?.

I don't think the motor is at fault because when it occasionally works it's not sluggish or jerky, it just stops when it feels like it, sometimes in the return position, sometimes randomly
My Name: tomasa

Top Contributor
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 120000
Trim Level: VTR+
DPF: Yes

me too having problems with wipers..can anyone add image of motor contacts which ones i have to test? or somethign..wheer should i put the tester to?

Maybe someone knows where relay for front wipers is?

thanks.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

Maybe someone knows where relay for front wipers is?
The relay for the front wipers is in the BSM module, which is the 'fuse box in the engine bay', there aren't any user replaceable relays in there :(

C3 2002 to 2006 engine bay fuse box layout diagram - BSM module.

find the BSM module on eBay.

The Haynes manual for the Citroen C3 on Amazon has very clear diagrams for the wiring to the BSM, BSI and wipers, along with most of the other non bus electrical circuits. Well worth the money if you are testing circuits and chasing wiring faults ;)
My Name: tomasa

Top Contributor
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 120000
Trim Level: VTR+
DPF: Yes

Thank you for info... bet in diagram there is no mention of wiper relay...only some engine one... Can be worse cars then fransh?? i'll go to my Fiat 1996...i could fix everything with eyes closed..and in this evil machine...everything is hard and low quality :(
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

bet in diagram there is no mention of wiper relay.
Its not a relay you can change, that's why there is no mention of it. I gave you the link so you are sure you are looking at the right fuse box. Some of the BSM (fuse box) do open up for inspection, others are glued shut - you need to change the whole unit :(