Front suspension or brake fault.

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: ronniemac37

Contributor

My 2004 C3 HDi passed its MOT yesterday. When warmed up there is a knocking noise from the front offside when applying the brakes. There is no other indication of a fault. It does not occur until the first 'blip' on the temperature gauge appears. Any thoughts, please?
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi ronniemac37, this could be any number of things and you may just have to work through the list of brake components then suspension parts until you find it. Its not a 'common fault' on the C3 but not unheard of, unfortunately the solution is yet to be reported.

It sounds like something is moving that shouldn't or possibly a warped brake disc or caliper mounting. There only needs to be a small movement to show up as a noise.

The
It does not occur until the first 'blip' on the temperature gauge appears
makes me think its something that expands as it warms up, like something near the brake disc.

It would be nice to hear how you get on.
My Name: ronniemac37

Contributor

Hello, thank you for your helpful comments. The answer lay in a SEIZED pin and nut at the bottom of the caliper. My friendly engineer freed it off - I was scared I would shear it if I tried too hard. We think the pad was in light contact with the disk at start-off and the disk got hotter as brakes were applied and the journey progressed. The caliper was unable to move freely and 'twisted' giving rise to mechanical noise and scuffing.
I now have silent braking, I'm glad to say. Today's job is to find out why the headlight levelling device doesn't work and use a hair-dryer on the condensation inside the lens. Although all new to me, it's quite an adventure being a C3 owner, isn't it!