front strut replacement

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: bill sutton

Experienced Member

Hi all,

just replaced my seized front strut for an eBay purchase, allegedly off the same vehicle type, 1.4 Hdi, and, on first look, it seemed to going well until........I found that the locating pin on the replacement strut top mounting (steel pin protruding from the rubber) was no where near the hole it was supposed to locate with. Ironically, it had an indentation where the pin on the other strut is, so, I tried to remove the pin with the intention of re locating it, but no go. So, the line of least resistance, measured the distance between the two and drilled a new hole in the vehicle body to correspond with the location of the new pin. Sorted.

My question is this, have I fitted the wrong strut? the vehicle is not leaning, sits level, so from a vehicle of the same weight presumably? Why manufacture two identical components, for the same vehicle, and then introduce spurious differences to make them not compatible without resulting to butchery?

I do not take lightly to "modifying" the structure of my vehicle, it is doing its best to disintegrate in front of my eyes, without my help.

Any Thoughts?
My Name: patt

Contributor

Hi, I think I'd be worried too. I cannot offer much help here, but my thoughts are that the new strut is not for your model. Specs change from time to time and it could be spring height, tension, damping or even steering angle differences. The fact that it is not a direct fit shows there is some difference somewhere and it is worth re checking where it came from with as much detail as possible.
Does it matter? It is your decision, but if it really does check out ok then personally I would stick with it.
This is my own view and maybe wrong!

Experienced Member

The fact that it is not a direct fit shows there is some difference somewhere and it is worth re checking where it came from with as much detail as possible.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400453597464

Its even the same colour!!!!!!!!!!

Experienced Member

Why manufacture two identical components, for the same vehicle, and then introduce spurious differences to make them not compatible without resulting to butchery?
I'll answer my own question here.

Because it is in Citroens interest to introduce difference, simply to obfuscate the truth, which is there is no actual difference in the parts, apart from their modification of the pin location, but that, that in itself reduces the chance of someone other than them being able or willing to fit another one (by 50% for one modification), and increase the likelihood of them (Citroen) being assigned the task of doing it instead, at great expense no doubt, and only using their new (Citroen) parts for the job.

If I had had to resort to their services I would

a. have doubled the amount of money the car has cost me (from £3,500 to £7,000 apprx)

b. no longer have a car for the reason a.

Then they could make me a new one and start all over again. Nice little earner.

Looking at Eurocarparts, it appears the pin location was modified between 08/2004 and 09/2007, but there is no information on the part spec changing in any other way.

If anyone knows different, please let me know and I'll swap it for an earlier one (pre 08/2004)
My Name: jbz2079

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 75000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: Yes
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: BlueHDi (100 PS)

I would not sweat about the strut, if it came from the same car. and all that was different was on locating pin.
There often is a difference between petrol engine and diesel engine springs simply because the diesel engine is heavy.
But as both cars are the same model in you case, not a problem.

I can remember back in the 80's some of the small ford diesels had different springs on each side.
This was to cater for the weight of the diesel engine on one side and if you swapped the springs over one side would bottom out all the time and the other would hardly move.

The only clue without a manual for that car was the part numbers were different for both front springs.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
DPF: No
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi bill
bill sutton wrote:Looking at Eurocarparts, it appears the pin location was modified between 08/2004 and 09/2007, but there is no information on the part spec changing in any other way.
A different 'cup with pin' was introduced on the 29th August 2004 which is (RPO 10156) for the 'standard suspension' set up and flowed through to the 2006 facelift. I don't know what happened in 09/2007.

RPO - to Date and RPO location on the Citroen C3

I think these pegs or locating lugs in different positions are made incompatible to ensure the wrong parts are not fitted at the factory. Mislabelled batches or just poor checking of part numbers are defeated by making it impossible to fit the wrong part.

As for what, other than the peg location was changed on the 29/08/04, I have yet to find out :)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Experienced Member

I think these pegs or locating lugs in different positions are made incompatible to ensure the wrong parts are not fitted at the factory.
Have just had the tracking done, didn't mention the strut anomaly, and it all aligned correctly, so, no discernible difference according to the precision laser tracking equipment either!

I think these pegs are fitted in different positions to ensure the wrong parts are fitted by the likes of me and you, who then (ordinarily) take it to the garage to rectify, keeping their franchisees in work.
Why else introduce variability into an otherwise constant production run? Give warehousemen something to do in an otherwise mundane existence? :lol:
My Name: jbz2079

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6
Mileage: 75000
DPF: Yes
Engine name: BlueHDi (100 PS)

Surely if a new after market strut was obtained it would be a bare strut, that then would need the spring and top mounting plate swapped over anyway.
The only reason you found out it was a changed part is because you changed to a part from a diffrent year.
If the strut top bearings are part of the top mounting those parts would show up in the listings as different as reguards the build year.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
DPF: No
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

I think these pegs are fitted in different positions to ensure the wrong parts are fitted by the likes of me and you, who then (ordinarily) take it to the garage to rectify, keeping their franchisees in work.
Why else introduce variability into an otherwise constant production run? Give warehousemen something to do in an otherwise mundane existence?
I think you have it all wrong. The changes are made in the name of improvement, so that the consumer gets the best possible from the vehicle, OR they screwed up the first go and had to modify the design, they just left all the folks with the problem design to get it fixed/updated themselves :lol:

Seriously, how many times have you tried to get a part that is worn/broken only to be told, 'oh, that's been updated now'? I had this the other week with a lawnmower, the pulley on top of one of the blade shafts was loose. The key and key-way had worn because the bolt on top wasn't able to exert enough pressure to keep the parts together. Guess what, the replacement has been modified. So there's a problem that the manufacturer clearly knows about, I think they should fix any problem machines at their expense. I've written to them accordingly quoting the Sale of Goods Act, let's see if I get a refund on the part.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Experienced Member

The changes are made in the name of improvement
But they haven't changed anything!!!! its the same part, for the same vehicle, doing the same job in the same way. The change (in this instance) is for changes sake, to ensure our reliance on them to maintain our vehicles. Moving the pin does nothing apart from keep them in work and us out of pocket.