front strut replacement

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: bill sutton

Experienced Member

Surely if a new after market strut was obtained it would be a bare strut, that then would need the spring and top mounting plate swapped over anyway.
The only reason you found out it was a changed part is because you changed to a part from a diffrent year.
If the strut top bearings are part of the top mounting those parts would show up in the listings as different as reguards the build year.
Two points here. If I had needed a new strut I would have bought one, It was the top bearing that had seized, and, if I hadn't been involved in a spring related accident, nearly costing me three fingers, I would have just bought the bearing and cup assembly, and, would be none the wiser.

Also, you are missing my point, the change in the mounting plate achieves nothing, sure it keeps someone in a job somewhere, but is totally unnecessary in terms of vehicle "improvement"

The near tragic accident was the result of Citroen fitting curved springs to a straight strut, presumably to save threepence by re-using the same springs as the rear which operate in an arc and therefore need to be curved. The front springs don't need to be curved but are, as a consequence, when compressed, the squashed spring loses its curve, and it develops uneven tension (greater on one side due to the curve). As a result of this, the spring compressor decided to follow the line of least resistance and jump to the uncompressed side whilst trying to alternatively slacken them a little at a time. This was reminiscent of a bear trap going off, and I found my hand to be holding the wrong place (the spring) at the wrong time.
So, having learned the hard way not to piss about with curved springs under tension, I bought a complete strut with bearing, to make life easier, which it has, apart from having to bodge holes in the bodywork for no good reason that is.

For those of you with the luxury of unlimited cash flow I say, go on, by everything new, from Citroen, and have them fit it too, why don't you.
I don't have that luxury, I bought this car to "save" me money in fuel and road tax, and even with my best efforts in doing all my own maintenance (£65/hour) and buying scrap parts wherever possible (saving thousands!!), I have failed.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

patt wrote:The fact that it is not a direct fit shows there is some difference somewhere and it is worth re checking where it came from with as much detail as possible.
jbz2079 wrote:If the strut top bearings are part of the top mounting those parts would show up in the listings as different as reguards the build year.
The listing, although had the headline 'CITROEN C3 2002-2008 1.4 HDI STRUT/SHOCK/LEG - PASSENGER FRONT' further reading of the listing reveals the 'Compatibility' section which lists the part as only shown to be compatible with 2002 and 2003 models of the 16 valve variety (1.4 16V HDi 1398ccm 90HP 66KW (Diesel)). Clearly acknowledging the incompatibility (without modification) with the 2004 and later cars.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-C3-2002-2008-1-4-HDI-STRUT-SHOCK-LEG-PASSENGER-FRONT-/400453597464

bill sutton wrote:Its even the same colour!!!!!!!!!!
Wicked Red?

bill sutton wrote:having learned the hard way not to piss about with curved springs under tension
Thanks for the heads-up. I will bear this in mind.
bill sutton wrote:I have failed.
Not you personally, I think you have been particularly unlucky in your initial choice of C3 diesel. Maybe a Friday afternoon machine - I would like to know its birthday (ORGA) :lol:
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

bill sutton wrote:
The changes are made in the name of improvement
But they haven't changed anything!!!! its the same part, for the same vehicle, doing the same job in the same way. The change (in this instance) is for changes sake, to ensure our reliance on them to maintain our vehicles. Moving the pin does nothing apart from keep them in work and us out of pocket.
Its my weird sarcastic humour ;)

I couldn't find a smiley for tongue in cheek :ugeek:
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:
My Name: jbz2079

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6
Mileage: 75000
DPF: Yes
Engine name: BlueHDi (100 PS)

I now where you are coming from, I too over the years have ran cheap simple cars usually from the breakers yards.
Marina's, Allegros, and various other cheap and cheerful cars, they used to be simple, not much in the way of electronics or the need for special tools.
The people that designed cars realised this, I'm sure they started making things complicated just for the sake of it.
They will say it's technological advance, better fuel economy and performance.

Tell me what's advanced about needing a fortunes work of adapters just to change the radio!
Or a garage full of computerized diagnostic equipment that gets superseded every four years.

Though I will admit that cars generally don't rust like they used too.
But they are now that complicated that cars actually arrive in various countries running in limp mode just for transportation and have to be programmed to local running conditions. Fiat have been doing this for a while now.

Makes you realised that the days of the home mechanic are truly numbered.

Experienced Member

further reading of the listing reveals the 'Compatibility' section which lists the part as only shown to be compatible with 2002 and 2003 models of the 16 valve variety (1.4 16V HDi 1398ccm 90HP 66KW (Diesel)).
Which is my car 53 plate, 1.4 16v HDi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Experienced Member

I'm sure they started making things complicated just for the sake of it.
At last, someone else who's seen the light!
Though I will admit that cars generally don't rust like they used too.
Yes, and the scrap yards are full of them.
Makes you realise that the days of the home mechanic are truly numbered.
I think its the days of an industry that thinks it's o.k to scrap otherwise roadworthy cars that are numbered, and the ones that make cars to last will win out eventually as people will want to buy another one.
My Name: Hans Zarkov

Top Contributor
Year: 2004 (04)
Mileage: 120000

Hi Bill,

I have just swapped the front struts on my 04 1.4hdi 16v. I sourced 2 struts form an auto dismantlers parts bin, and can confirm that the shocks and the top mounts are the same on all C3's petrol & diesel from 02 - 05 plate, the spring is different though.
The top mounts are the same left and right, the top plate just spins round for locating the peg.

The original RHS strut on my c3 didn't have the peg seated right, and was't visible (I only noticed once I decided to do something about the front of my car being so low)

When I refitted the struts, I didn't locate the pegs straight away. Once all the bits at the bottom were fastend, I undid the top bolt a bit, and wiggled round the top plate (with the peg in it) & got it into position. As I had just serviced the top mount bearing, the top would turn easily.

Personally, I'd be a bit concerned that you have the wrong parts fitted...

John

Guru

Hi John
The original RHS strut on my c3 didn't have the peg seated right, and wasn't visible (I only noticed once I decided to do something about the front of my car being so low)
Did swapping the struts make any difference to the front ride height?

Is this the locating pin that was wrong?
citroen c3 strut top mounting pin location
citroen c3 strut top mounting pin location
from a C3 2002 HDi 1.4 16v Near Side :)

Experienced Member

Is this the locating pin that was wrong?
this gets weirder as the photo you have posted shows the peg in the position of the replacement strut, i.e where I had to drill a hole to locate it. The peg on the original strut (and the hole in the body) are 30mm clockwise from that and at the outermost point of the strut in relation to the vehicle.
and can confirm that the shocks and the top mounts are the same on all C3's petrol & diesel from 02 - 05 plate, the spring is different though
I can confirm this is not the case, as mine is a 53 and the strut came from an 04 plate (both within the 02-05 target range) and both are different, and mine is different to the photo from C3CAR whatever year that is.
Personally, I'd be a bit concerned that you have the wrong parts fitted...
Well. as the ride height and handling are unaffected, the vehicle has been professionally tracked and showed no deviation from the specified tolerances for that model, and the peg is located in a hole, regardless of who drilled it, and, nobody can explain the discrepancy or give me sufficient reason to suggest that there is any other difference, apart from the location of the peg, I'm not.

Guru

I can confirm this is not the case, as mine is a 53 and the strut came from an 04 plate (both within the 02-05 target range) and both are different, and mine is different to the photo from C3CAR whatever year that is.
Sorry, 2002 HDi 1.4 16v :oops:

I will add it to the photo