Front broken O/S Coil Spring

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: midiman

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 141000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi, a local garage picked up that my front O/S coil spring in broken.

I also found out that Citroen have a recall for the same problem and my care is within the age range.

But when I phoned them they said that it's not in the VIN range!!

Mine VIN number is slightly before what they have on the notice.

I find this strange, because I have never broken a coil in 20 years!!

I'm going to see them tomorrow for an investigation. Do you think that this is a co-incidence or probably part of the problem?

Thanks
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

midiman wrote:Hi, a local garage picked up that my front O/S coil spring in broken.

I also found out that Citroen have a recall for the same problem and my care is within the age range.
Its a very common problem for the front springs to break on the C3. Best to change them in pairs.

You can pick up a pair of front springs from Euro Car Parts or have them delivered, just enter your registration number to start.

The recall Citroen issued was to fit 'cups' to the front legs that catch the spring when it breaks, this should stop the broken spring penetrating the tyre. The recall wasn't to change the springs.

Its easy to check if you have the suspension cup mod, there is a picture of one fitted below. If you don't have them fitted, its an easy job to do when you are fitting new springs.
Front broken O/S Coil Spring on a Citroen C3
Front broken O/S Coil Spring on a Citroen C3
Where the wording 'citroenC3owners.com' appears is the cup, see how it caught the broken spring.

tips-for-any-citroen-c3-f8/jangling-sou ... -t711.html
My Name: midiman

Experienced Member
Year: 2003 (03)
Mileage: 141000

C3CAR wrote:
midiman wrote:Hi, a local garage picked up that my front O/S coil spring in broken.

Its a very common problem for the front springs to break on the C3. Best to change them in pairs.

You can pick up a pair of front springs from Euro Car Parts or have them delivered, just enter your registration number to start.

The recall Citroen issued was to fit 'cups' to the front legs that catch the spring when it breaks, this should stop the broken spring penetrating the tyre. The recall wasn't to change the springs.

Its easy to check if you have the suspension cup mod, there is a picture of one fitted below. If you don't have them fitted, its an easy job to do when you are fitting new springs.
Citroen_C3_Broken_Front_Spring.jpg
Citroen_C3_Broken_Front_Spring.jpg (46.17 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Where the wording 'citroenC3owners.com' appears is the cup, see how it caught the broken spring.

tips-for-any-citroen-c3-f8/jangling-sou ... -t711.html
So I am as well cancel my appointment with the Citroen dealer.

I would still have to get the springs anyway. All they would do it if the cups.
My Name: SPW

Year: 2005 (55)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 36000
Trim Level: Desire

Sat in the car yesterday morning to head to work but just before starting the car there was a cracking
noise and the cars front offside dropped. This was due to a spring breaking. Car is in the garage have both springs replaced.
SPW