Fan problem - A/C or heater not working

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: haroon88

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Good morning and happy new year to everyone!

I am new to this forum so I would apologize for any mistake in this post.

I have a Citroen C3 exclusive (petrol) 2004 model. In August 2018, the fan blower resistor went out of order and hence was changed along with the connection plug (etc.) that connects the wires with the resitor (€130), since the mechanic told me that it was also damaged. Since then the fan has its own mind. After the replacement, the fan use to stop working after two runs and would start whenever it wanted. However after that, things became normal until November 2018 when again it started to change its mind on its own regarding working. So it worked, e.g. if I switched it on and then switched on other things like windscreen wiper or rear glass heater, or when I got on highway and drove at a high speed. It would also go off by its own during the drive so it is really confusing what triggers it to work or stop working. Just to make you clear that the AirCon display works fine, like I change the speed of the fan, it shows me it is doing but practically nothing is happening.

Now before I head to mechanic and waste more money, it is going to be absolutely worthwhile to hear from experts where the problem could lie? My thinking is that it could be defective resistor, fan blower motor, fusebox (internal near stearing wheel), aircon management unit or electrical wiring.

Kindly help. Thank you and have a nice day.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

haroon88 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:52 am Good morning and happy new year to everyone!
Hi haroon88
haroon88 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:52 am the fan blower resistor went out of order and hence was changed along with the connection plug (etc.)
haroon88 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:52 am Since then the fan has its own mind
If this is exactly what happened, it points to a problem with the way the new parts were fitted.

The mechanic may have just crimped the new plug to the old loom and not done a great job of it. Give the wire joints a good tugging on to see if the come apart.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Engine Size: 1.1
Trim Level: Desire
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

If the wiring checks out OK then I'd think about brushes on the fan motor. If they're on the limit of wear they can give erratic operation.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:
My Name: haroon88

Contributor
Engine Size: 1.4
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)

Thank you all for the kind help. Yes this does really make sense that after changing the resistor, the changed part could be at fault one way or the other. I would now head back to the same mechanic and will ask him to recheck it since the resistor is under warranty as well its work as well. Let’s hope for the best