Erratic rear washer wiper

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: trumpycam

Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2007 (07)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 50000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hi
Our 2007 Exclusive has started to play up with it's rear washer/wiper. In that they come on for no apparent reasons, eg when turning or signaling or sometimes over a bump. It is not constant and very erratic on the times it does, sometimes long periods go by with nothing happening. Read posts and possible to be stalks (Com 2000?) any other ideas.
Thanks Joe
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

trumpycam wrote:Hi
Our 2007 Exclusive has started to play up with it's rear washer/wiper. In that they come on for no apparent reasons, eg when turning or signaling or sometimes over a bump. It is not constant and very erratic on the times it does, sometimes long periods go by with nothing happening. Read posts and possible to be stalks (Com 2000?) any other ideas.
Thanks Joe
It sounds like a poor connection, shorting out on the signal that activates the rear wiper and the connections seems to be in the area of the signalling department. I would look at the COM2000, you seem to be looking for something else, is this because you have checked/tested/changed the COM2000 and the fault persists?

Lexia is the tool to diagnose the input/output of the COM2000 and the BSI, which is the way to go if you don't want to look into the COM2000.

Lexia:
Citroen Lexia for the C3
Citroen Lexia for the C3
You can get the lexia tool here

Faulty COM2000:
Replacements available here on eBay

The COM2000 (or steering wheel stalks) - an inside look. topic shows some of the failure points for the COM2000 - stalks under the steering wheel also known as 'Column Switch'
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

Hi
Thanks for reply, have not investigated problem too far yet, assumed it may be COM2000 after reading other posts. Know local Citroen enthusiast will ask him to check diagnostics and will look at switches. Checked your links for Lexia tools, and found nobody who delivers Maxiscan MS 309's to Australia? Any other tools wok as well?
Thanks Joe
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

trumpycam wrote:and found nobody who delivers Maxiscan MS 309's to Australia? Any other tools wok as well?
MS309 won't work for the testing you need, it HAS to be Lexia (the clone or the real tool), everything else will only do error codes, of which you have none.

As for delivering to Australia, I don't know, but they are made in china so not so far for you from somewhere like AliExpress.com?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

Hi

Will take car in for diagnostic, and proceed from there. Looking at photos, is it difficult to remove end of stalk to check switches?
Thanks Joe
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

trumpycam wrote: Looking at photos, is it difficult to remove end of stalk to check switches?
There are several manufacturers of the COM2000 which differ in disassembly. Some are easy and others have been reported as being difficult.

https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... -t467.html
Stalks on a Citroen C3 repair
Stalks on a Citroen C3 repair
This one just popped apart, but watch out for the spring loaded ball bearings :o

Others have just changed the whole unit with those symptoms, picking up the right one on ebay can take a bit of time.

Contributor

Thanks
Lots of info to go on with, will report results when sorted.
Joe