Engine Managment Light, Lost Power and Limp Mode at 9MPH

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: polarisbhoy

Contributor

Bought 1 of these for my daughter & has been running great for the last 6 months. Today the car lost power, luckily a few hundred yards from our house & was able to limp back @ 9mph.

The engine management light is on although now the car seems to be running fine, looking about the tinternet this seems to be a common problem caused by water leaking in past the window washer & onto the coil pack.

Is the coil pack an easy fit for a non experienced mechanic? and any clues as where to buy the correct coil pack (apparently they've upgraded them).

Thanks in advance.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

The engine management light is on although now the car seems to be running fine, looking about the tinternet this seems to be a common problem caused by water leaking in past the window washer & onto the coil pack.
But, don't be upset if it turns out that the coil pack is ok and although the symptoms are similar, the actual fault is different. The MIL/Engine light comes on with many faults where the car looses power.

Changing the coil pack should be an easy job, its easy to get to being on the top of the engine. Its got one electrical connector and two nuts to undo to allow you to withdraw the coil pack. Nice and easy.

An ideal companion to doing it yourself on the Citroen C3 is the ever useful Citroen C3 Haynes Manual (from here)

Euro Car Parts have a website where you can put your reg number in to make sure you get offered the right part for the car.

Don't forget to check and then fix the water leak from the washers before you do any work as you wouldn't want to damage a second coil pack.

Almost forgot to say, you can use an OBD2 code reader (like this) to read the fault code or codes that put the Engine warning light 'on'. Not an expensive tool that can help confirm a candidate for a fault before digging deep into pockets.

Citroen C3 OBD2 Reader
Citroen C3 OBD2 Reader
My Name: polarisbhoy

Contributor

Had it checked out today, the fault code pointed to the throttle body. Car running fine at the min. Will look into cleaning it up a bit as i've seen a post somewhere which said it was a bit sticky.