Electric window stopped working

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: jerrybuilt

Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2007 (07)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 104000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

My right side electric window has stopped working, luckily it's stuck in the up position. And my electric mirrors have stopped working.

It's tempting to think it's a blown fuse, but I've gone through all my fuses, and they are all intact. The manual is no help.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi jerrybuilt, I did see you have already found the thread on the electric window not working.

Citroen C3 electric window fuse

That post contains quite a bit of info, the thing to remember on the 2007 shape car is the extra 'hidden' fuse box that carries fuses for some of the windows (passenger on a RHD).

This post has pictures of the 'hidden' Citroen C3 fuse box locations

Citroen C3 fuse box location
Citroen C3 fuse box location

and there is that fuse box in the glove box with only one fuse, apparently this protects the drivers window on a RHD car.
Citroen C3 slave fuse box location
Citroen C3 slave fuse box location

After the fuses, check switches (try swapping them over), the plug on the BSI, check wiring in the door panel.... Citroen C3 door interior panel removal 2002-2009

Contributor

Hi C3driver52

Thanks for your help with this. There's good news and not so good news.

Despite the fuse in the glovebox looking intact I swapped it with the only fuse I have available (a green 30amp, it will have to do for now) in the six position from the left, rather than the extreme left as pictured. And the drivers window works!! Great!

But. Remember me saying the how the electric mirrors don't work? well, now they do work, but only in one direction. Both mirrors only move to the left, not right or even up or down. This can't be a fuse can it?

Any ideas? Anyone?

Thanks
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Any ideas? Anyone?
How about the original fault (the one that caused the fuse to blow) is still present.

Something caused the fuse to blow, like a short, now the fuse is replace by a higher rating fuse, the original fault is apparent.

It could be a faulty motor on of the mirrors, or something similar. The way I would proceed is to desperate the different parts of the circuit (by disconnecting the plugs to each part) and seeing if anything improves.

Contributor

Hi

With the light fading I just about had enough time to disconnect the drivers mirror. Both windows still worked but the passenger mirror still did the same weird, only working in one direction trick.

Could it be a faulty relay? if so which one. I might buy myself a Haynes.

Thanks again
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

Could it be a faulty relay? if so which one. I
Let hope its not a relay, they are 'non replaceable', often solid state and part of the BSI, not a thing you want to have to change.
I might buy myself a Haynes.
The Haynes Manual has plenty of diagrams that are close to your 2006 facelift model. The blue haynes is a closer match than the green one for you. The blue C3 haynes book is available from Amazon - here

The C3 haynes manual
The C3 haynes manual
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: alsie2

Experienced Member
Year: 2008 (08)
Mileage: 37
Trim Level: Cachet

My blue Hains manual doesnt tell anything much about electric mirrors other than how to take them off. Having said that a Haynes is well worth having.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

alsie2 wrote:My blue Hains manual doesnt tell anything much about electric mirrors other than how to take them off.
Can I suggest page 12.20 (Diagram 4) - 'Typical electric and heated mirrors' in the blue book, has the electrical diagram for the mirrors switch, the mirror motors, the mirror heater and temperature sensor. There is also all the wire colours and pin numbers for the wires, all the way from the BSI up to the motor for the mirror adjustment.

Everything you need to diagnose electrical problems with the mirror adjustment.

The same page also has the electric window diagram, so after you have checked fuses, swapped switches over, you can get the multi meter out and start diagnosing. :)

You can often find a new, cheap, yet suitable multimeter, here on eBay.

Typical test meter for Citroen C3 fault finding in circuits
Typical test meter for Citroen C3 fault finding in circuits
My Name: alsie2

Experienced Member
Year: 2008 (08)
Mileage: 37
Trim Level: Cachet

Sorry missed that one, just shows how handy the Haynes manual is. I always suggest checking all electrical connections before anything else as they can freeze up. (unplug re plug).
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

alsie2 wrote:I always suggest checking all electrical connections before anything else as they can freeze up. (unplug re plug).
I think this is the one most time and money saving tips you will find for the C3. Maybe it should be on the top of each page that covers electrical faults? Thank you for putting it so clearly alsie2.

It even fixed HDi engine occasional 'missfire' P0129 and P0339 which saved having to replace sensors or checking wiring for damage :)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)