Electric Folding Wing Mirrors

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: matk

Contributor
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 10:54 am
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 124000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)

Post

Some b++tard drove by and smashed the drivers side wing mirror on our car without stopping. We have a 1.4 diesel exclusive, so have the electronic folding wing mirrors, with heated glass.

Whenever we now fold the mirror, the "folding motor" runs continuously without stopping, and the mirror housing flops around without locking into position. As a temporary measure I've disconnected the plug that runs power to that motor.

I'm trying now to source another mirror off the internet, but am struggling to be sure that the ones I'm looking at are correct. can anyone give me any clues? I know it must have two multi plug connectors (as opposed to one), is that enough to look out for?

Once I've done that can anyone give me any clues as to how to dismantle the casing, as once I've got a replacement unit, I want to open the original one to see if it is repairable.

Finally on a 2002 car is there an option in Lexia that will fold the mirrors automatically on say locking the car, so that we can try to avoid something happening again!
User avatar
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Posts: 3303
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 pm
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Post

matk wrote:I'm trying now to source another mirror off the internet, but am struggling to be sure that the ones I'm looking at are correct. can anyone give me any clues? I know it must have two multi plug connectors (as opposed to one), is that enough to look out for?

Image
A/C sensor in the mirror housing which may need to be moved to the new housing.

fold back mirrors electric adjustment with air conditioning sensor
fold back mirrors electric adjustment with air conditioning sensor
2 plugs found on an electric adjustment and electric fold back mirror. The plugs are fully populated for the folding motor. Some mirrors have both plugs, but are only partially populated with the A/C sensor wires in black.

All the ones I have seen for sale only have one plug or two plugs but with only the A/C sensor wires :(



matk wrote:Once I've done that can anyone give me any clues as to how to dismantle the casing, as once I've got a replacement unit, I want to open the original one to see if it is repairable.
Can you pop the top off?
matk wrote:Finally on a 2002 car is there an option in Lexia that will fold the mirrors automatically on say locking the car, so that we can try to avoid something happening again!
I have not seen this, even on a later BSI firmware update. But if I find it, I will report back :)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: matk

Contributor
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 10:54 am
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 124000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)

Post

Might be in luck, found one at a scrapyard, temp sensor already installed, two multi plugs, one with 5 wires and one with 4 wires. Will install it later and report back.

It looks like the top section of the housing will come off, but at the moment it's resisting so don't want to force it and break it. Once I've got the new mirror on and am happy with it, I'll have a go at the old housing, and if I mullah that it won't matter too much.
User avatar
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:40 pm
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Post

matk wrote: It looks like the top section of the housing will come off, but at the moment it's resisting so don't want to force it and break it. Once I've got the new mirror on and am happy with it, I'll have a go at the old housing, and if I mullah that it won't matter too much.
If you get the chance to take some pictures of how you manage to get it apart, there is a topic for 'tips' and 'hows to' which would benefit from this information :D

https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-tips/
My Name: matk

Contributor
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 10:54 am
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 124000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)

Post

Well first thing is the part from the scrapyard fitted and worked perfectly, so I can confirm, if you want to replace an electric folding wing mirror, you're looking for one with two multi plugs on it, one with 5 wires, and the other with 4.

As far as dismantling goes, yes, I'll post some pics when I get round to opening my old mirror up.
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post