Eco Mode - and doesn’t start with a flashing battery light

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: SC07TYP

Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2008 (08)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: NA
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

:roll:
So went to a dealer yesterday, saw this little C3 for the kid. Body work good condition - needs a new tyre as a little low. MOT is 8months,

Asked to have a little look to hear for any knocks in the engine all Looked good. Had a look under. Had a look under all seems pretty sound. Except to start he needed to jump off a battery pack, I thought give them
Benefit of the doubt, it’s been sat here a while maybe worst comes to worst new battery. But for the price and a little haggle I am okay with that. Took for a test drive all good it was about 15mins drive

So I said yes. So he offered to take around the front for us. Left the car running, I got in. Got home. Got home. Turned engine off and this morning nothing. So thought battery. Knew it. Went and got a new battery and installed.

Now the car comes up with - Eco Mode - and doesn’t start with a flashing battery light. No extras working like windows or radio

I took the battery off thinking it needed a charge. put back on and then tried again, nothing except this time the battery light wasn’t flashing and the radio came on and I could use the windows. Then after 5mins it would go back to eco mode.

So called the AA out as we had got it on her insurance luckily! He came out mooched about did some bits and thought it could be the immobiliser not allowing it.

He bypassed something (I am not a car man) and made a link wire to the solenoid and if I put to ignition and tap to the battery the car cranks and starts. He couldn’t really do much more with the time left.

Any ideas or little tips I could try? I have
Tried re syncing keys that I found on this forum but seems to not make a difference. I can use the key to operate the central locking. So now I am tired. 😂
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

SC07TYP wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:46 pm :roll:
So went to a dealer yesterday, saw this little C3 for the kid. Body work good condition - needs a new tyre as a little low. MOT is 8months,

Asked to have a little look to hear for any knocks in the engine all Looked good. Had a look under. Had a look under all seems pretty sound. Except to start he needed to jump off a battery pack, I thought give them
Benefit of the doubt, it’s been sat here a while maybe worst comes to worst new battery. But for the price and a little haggle I am okay with that. Took for a test drive all good it was about 15mins drive

So I said yes. So he offered to take around the front for us. Left the car running, I got in. Got home. Got home. Turned engine off and this morning nothing. So thought battery. Knew it. Went and got a new battery and installed.

Now the car comes up with - Eco Mode - and doesn’t start with a flashing battery light. No extras working like windows or radio

I took the battery off thinking it needed a charge. put back on and then tried again, nothing except this time the battery light wasn’t flashing and the radio came on and I could use the windows. Then after 5mins it would go back to eco mode.

So called the AA out as we had got it on her insurance luckily! He came out mooched about did some bits and thought it could be the immobiliser not allowing it.

He bypassed something (I am not a car man) and made a link wire to the solenoid and if I put to ignition and tap to the battery the car cranks and starts. He couldn’t really do much more with the time left.

Any ideas or little tips I could try? I have
Tried re syncing keys that I found on this forum but seems to not make a difference. I can use the key to operate the central locking. So now I am tired. 😂

Hi

If it starts while bypassed, with the key in the ignition then it is NOT the immobiliser. That bit is working.

ECO Mode will appear if you leave the ignition on and fail to start, it will disappear if you disconnect the battery and charge it up. That bit is working.

The AA man bypassed the starter circuit, so you probably have a high resistance in the starter circuit, anywhere from the battery, via the ignition switch to the starter motor (because this is what was bypassed).

You didn't mention 'click,click,click'click' with the key, so it doesn't sound like a flat battery or a broken starter either.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: routemaster1

C3 Master
Model: C3 2017-on. The new C3
Year: 2019 (19)
Engine Size: 1.2
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 300
Trim Level: Flair
Gearbox: Manual 6 speed
Engine name: EB2DT-EB2ADT PureTech 3-Cylinder (110 PS)

I can confirm that a flat battery will result is clicking on attempting to start, as the battery on our 2012 C3 appears to be dying. I would suggest that you should return to the dealer.
My Name: SC07TYP

Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2008 (08)
Engine Size: 1.4
Trim Level: NA

Thanks people,

I am in talks with the Dealer… well he won’t respond and is ignoring my calls. So I have a feeling I’m going to have to take this further. So I am trying to see what I can do for as cheap as possible incase I have to revert into a return!

I’ll see if I can get a auto electrician to have a look as you’ve guided me more towards an electrical fault rather than a mechanical
My Name: Ozvtr

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Can some one with a face lift diesel and a manual gearbox confirm that neither the clutch or brake need to be pushed to engage the starter?

Poster says car is a manual but starter cuts out in ECO mode. Don't see how. To my knowledge starter is directly connected to the key switch in a manual car. Auto's have a relay to cut out starting engine in "ECO mode" (gearbox failure mode. Don't ask :evil: ).
Poster stats wrong? Car is an auto? Auto box failure? What could be locking the starter out of a manual gearbox car in ECO mode?