Drivers side side lights not working

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: whiller123

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: SensoDrive
DPF: No

Hi all
This is the first time I have posted here but here goes
My 2002 1.6 16v C3's drivers side side lights have stopped working. Bulbs are Ok and changed but still don't work.
My local auto electrition diagnosed the fault as being the BSI unit which I have now had re-conditioned but the lights still don't work. I sent the BSI back to the repairers who have tested it again and say its working as it should.
Any one got any idea's??
Also when the lights are turned on there is a faint buzzing sound from somewhere in the dash & the CD player wakes up and spins.
I have seen other posts with the simalar problem but with no fix.
I have also tried unplugging the cd player and the multi changer but still no joy.
I can't jump the side light feed from the working side to the failed side because the BSI won't take the extra load as small as it is.
I would like to fix this fault properly but am at a loss as how to do it.
My only other option as I see it is a smart relay and a fused battery feed, but don't really want to do that.

Any help would be much appreceiated

ROB>>>>>>>>>>>
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi ROB, welcome to the forum
drivers side side lights have stopped working
The side lights (501 W5W Lamps) are driven by the BSI, not much to it. There is BSI, interconnecting cable, Lamp unit and earth. Side light are controlled by the COM2000 - steering wheel stalks. But I don't know if each side is independent. You would need lexia to diagnose if the signal is being sent from the stalks.

The dim dip and beam (H1 and H7) are controlled by the BSM - engine bay fuse box.

If its only the side lights (W5W), then why bother, they are only 5 Watts and are hardly seen as dim dip takes over in most situations.

I can't jump the side light feed from the working side to the failed side because the BSI won't take the extra load as small as it is.
Its only a few watts, a tiny relay will do that easily. Power a small relay off the working side light if they are that important to you.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: whiller123

Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Mileage: 80000
Gearbox: SensoDrive

Many thanks for your reply

Lexia was used to diagnose the problem and the side light stalk is asking the BSI to power the side lights.
I am not concerned with the front side light until the next MOT but the rear one is an issue.
I have ordered a smart towing relay which I will use to power the drivers side lights for now.
One thing I forgot to do was a BSI re-set when the CD player was disconnected, I will try that today
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Do either or both of the rear number plate lights work?
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

whiller123 wrote:Lexia was used to diagnose the problem and the side light stalk is asking the BSI to power the side lights.
Could it be something as simple as the 16 way black plug on the BSI being loose, damaged or giving a poor connection. This could look like a bad BSI, when the wiring, lamp holders and lamps check out ok? It would have to also affect the 16 way green plug, but some water ingress could do something like that.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Mileage: 140000

There is a similar topic here, front and rear lights not working correctly.