drivers door dropped and movable

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: goldeneagle69

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (54)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 50000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
DPF: No

Last week I noticed that I could hear far more engine noise coming from somewhere near the drivers door, and after much investigation, I found that the drivers door had dropped slightly. I can now grab hold of the door when it is about half open, and actually move it about an inch forwards / upwards. I can see the door move somewhere by the top hinge, but can't find anything loose. There is a large headed screw which has a star shaped fitting, and it is somewhere round there that the problem appears to be. I can't get anything into this though as the body of the car is in the way.

Is this something that I can fix myself or will I need to take it to a garage? I have searched everywhere on the internet but can't find any diagrams of the hinges or videos on how to fix / adjust them. The problem seems to be getting worse by the day.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi goldeneagle69
goldeneagle69 wrote:There is a large headed screw which has a star shaped fitting, and it is somewhere round there that the problem appears to be. I can't get anything into this though as the body of the car is in the way.
Its a T40 Torx bolt
door hinge fixing is a T40 Torx on a citroen C3
door hinge fixing is a T40 Torx on a citroen C3
I can fit my T40 allen style drive in there comfortably, but you would need a Quality torx tool rather than the cheapo rubbish I have in the picture.

If you still have difficulty getting a tool in there, (maybe you wanted to use a T40 torx with your socket set, then its possible to get the door open a little wider by removing the 'check strap' torx bolt - arrowed in the picture. Don't over open the door! You risk damaging the wing or door panel (or both).
citroen C3 door check strap fixing
citroen C3 door check strap fixing
You may even end up replacing the check strap if the door has been clunky and noisy to open and close, the check strap failure is a common problem and may have led to the hinge problem?

Check strap removal instructions:
citroen-c3-tips/door-stop-check-strap-r ... -t544.html

goldeneagle69 wrote:Is this something that I can fix myself or will I need to take it to a garage?
The pictures of a working door hinge may help you work out why your is faulty by comparing hinges?
a working hinge on a citroen C3
a working hinge on a citroen C3
and if you want to look 'inside' the door, behind the hinge, have a look at these instructions to remove the door card.
goldeneagle69 wrote:Is this something that I can fix myself or will I need to take it to a garage?
Without knowing what is wrong with yours, and knowing what skills and tools you have, its impossible to guess if you can repair it. But I would treat it as a two person job because you will need to have someone take the weight of the door if you are going to remove it.

goldeneagle69 wrote: I have searched everywhere on the internet but can't find any diagrams of the hinges or videos on how to fix / adjust them.

Its not a common problem and this is the first time its come up on the forum. If you can add any pictures of your bad hinge, and if you have a go at fixing it or at least investigation it, pictures are always welcome :D
goldeneagle69 wrote:The problem seems to be getting worse by the day.
Yes, this will only get worse, and the other hinge will fail soon as its made to take extra load, then the door may fall off :oops:
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Thank you for your replies.

What does the T40 torx screw do exactly? (Sorry if this is a daft question). I can see that it secures the hinge to a square shaped piece of metal which appears to be set behind the main door panel. How is this square piece of metal secured to the main door? Is it welded on or is it bolted on from the inside? In my case, it would appear to be this that is moving.

If you look at the 3rd picture entitled "Working door hinge on a Citroen C3" there is a small (about 5mm) gap between the hinge and the door frame (to the right of the hinge in the picture). When I move the door this gap can be anywhere between 10mm and nothing. I can't tell if it is the hinge that is moving or the piece of metal that it is secured to.

Is the T40 torx screw there so that you can adjust the angle of the door? If so, would buying the correct tool and doing this up solve the problem? If the piece of metal that the hinge is secured to is moving will this need welding to stop it moving permanently? I don't understand why the hinge isn't just secured straight on to the main door panel. Why the extra inset piece of metal?

Guru

goldeneagle69 wrote:Thank you for your replies.
No Problem.
goldeneagle69 wrote:What does the T40 torx screw do exactly? (Sorry if this is a daft question).
Its not a daft question, I don't know the answer as I have not had the need to remove it. I would imagine that it does attach the hinge to the door.
goldeneagle69 wrote:How is this square piece of metal secured to the main door? Is it welded on or is it bolted on from the inside?
I don't know this one either. I can't see a diagram that shows it either. I think the only way you will find out is to remove the good door and compare it with the 'broken' door. You may need to remove the door card to get a good look inside.
goldeneagle69 wrote:If you look at the 3rd picture entitled "Working door hinge on a Citroen C3" there is a small (about 5mm) gap between the hinge and the door frame (to the right of the hinge in the picture). When I move the door this gap can be anywhere between 10mm and nothing. I can't tell if it is the hinge that is moving or the piece of metal that it is secured to.
I see what you mean. The Torx screw is going to be very tight on a working door, you could try a cheap torx drive on it to see if its loose, then spend money on a quality tool if it needs tightening up. I picked up the cheapo torx as a set for 99p and can't use it on anything tight.
goldeneagle69 wrote:Is the T40 torx screw there so that you can adjust the angle of the door? If so, would buying the correct tool and doing this up solve the problem? If the piece of metal that the hinge is secured to is moving will this need welding to stop it moving permanently? I don't understand why the hinge isn't just secured straight on to the main door panel. Why the extra inset piece of metal?
I don't know this either. I would imagine the torx attaches the hinge to the door. I think the door is made up of several layers, with strong bits of metal where it takes a load and thin, lighter metal for non load bearing parts. The separate parts you can see may also allow up/down/forward/backward adjustment of the door. You may have to take the door off to get a good look at what's right and wrong with those hinges.

Arfur Dent wrote:You may even end up replacing the check strap if the door has been clunky and noisy to open and close, the check strap failure is a common problem and may have led to the hinge problem?
Is the check strap in good condition without a clunk as the door opens and closes?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

The check strap looks in perfect condition. I have compared the two front doors, and apart from this movement there is absolutely no difference.

I have ordered a mid range torx set which should arrive in a day or so. I will try tightening the screws up when this arrives, failing that I guess it will be a trip to my local mechanic. There is no sign of any rust on any of the car so I can't believe that this is the cause. Hopefully it will just be the torx screw. I'll post back once I have given this a go.

Again, thank you.

Guru

goldeneagle69 wrote:The check strap looks in perfect condition. I have compared the two front doors, and apart from this movement there is absolutely no difference.
Thanks for confirming this. I was wondering if the seized and noisy check strap can cause further damage to the hinges and their mountings, but it seems no so in this case.
goldeneagle69 wrote:Hopefully it will just be the torx screw. I'll post back once I have given this a go.
Hopefully :)

An update would be great!

The torx set arrived this morning and I found that the torx screw was in fact loose. I have tightened this up and the door has stopped moving.

It's not quite aligned, but a work colleague has said that he will help me with this later on.

One problem that has now become obvious is that the door strap is in fact broken. Where it was tightly screwed in place there was no movement, but as soon as I undid the torx screw the bar running between the door and the frame dropped out. There is nothing holding it in place within the door. I will get a new one and follow the instructions on here for fitting it. Hopefully my colleague will give me a hand with this too.

Guru

goldeneagle69 wrote:The torx set arrived this morning and I found that the torx screw was in fact loose. I have tightened this up and the door has stopped moving.

It's not quite aligned, but a work colleague has said that he will help me with this later on.

One problem that has now become obvious is that the door strap is in fact broken. Where it was tightly screwed in place there was no movement, but as soon as I undid the torx screw the bar running between the door and the frame dropped out. There is nothing holding it in place within the door. I will get a new one and follow the instructions on here for fitting it. Hopefully my colleague will give me a hand with this too.
Thanks for the update. Aligning the door will require 2 people because of the weight, but the check strap is quite easy and a one person job once you realise how it comes out :)

Citroen C3 door check strap removal and replacement instructions with pictures - click here

Find a suitable T40 torx drive by clicking here for your socket drive.

If you need new pins for the hinge because they are worn, then you can often get them by clicking this link to ebay.