Driver's Door making an audible "clack!" while opening

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: pedroaniceto

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: Yes

Hi there, Ladies and Gents,

I am sorry but my english is not perfect, so bear with me while I try to explain my problem.

The drivers door of my 2003 Diesel C3 sarted making noises (an audible "clack!") while opening about a year ago. I thought I had solved the problem with a generous amount of WD40. In fact the noise disappeared but the door opening movement was not smooth. Last week I noticed that the "limitator" (I am sorry but I don't know the exact word) that keeps the door from opening completely was gone. So now, the door opens wide with absolutely no effort at all, which is really dangerous if there's a little bit of wind.

My question: Is there something I can do to repair this or does it need a professional solution? Thanks in advance. (If there's any "how to" already published that I was not able to find on this Forum, please apologize).

Pedro Aniceto
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

pedroaniceto wrote: My question: Is there something I can do to repair this or does it need a professional solution? Thanks in advance. (If there's any "how to" already published that I was not able to find on ths Forum, please apologize).
Hi pedroaniceto, its quite a common problem for the "limitator" or 'door check strap' to become stiff or even break in two. Its quite easy to repair yourself and you can get the part here. They are held in place with a torx type fixing, so you will need a torx tool to remove the broken bit and fit the new one.

The 'how-to' is here: citroen-c3-tips/door-stop-check-strap-r ... -t544.html

My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

When you've fitted your new door strap its a good idea to apply some non-drying grease to the moving parts. WD40 will help to free parts that are stiff or seized but its not always the best long term protection unless you're prepared to re-apply it regularly, especially for areas that get damp or wet. I use a waterproof copper grease to protect hinges and door straps, the sound of creaking doors really gets to me; I've just been out and sprayed the hinges on the postman's van.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Contributor

Wow! Game, Set and Match!

Thank you, Sir! I will buy the little sequeaking devil and I will try to fit it. (And you made me laugh with the Postman's Van - I use to know a bakery delivery guy that could use some help, too!)

Pedro Aniceto

Contributor

Hi there!
Just removed the door inner cover (yeah a couple of clips went south...)
The only aditional problem I have found was the need of getting the speaker out (it's the only access
to the roller part inside the door), and I've found that the speaker is rivetted in place, so I need to rivet it back.
I will have the part tomorrow but it seems pretty straightforward to swap the check strap.
Thanks again for the help
Pedro Aniceto

Contributor

Update:

Forget about unrivetting the speaker... :) it's perfectly possible to reach the inner piece (spring, rollers and such) with a little bit of effort. What i found was a piece of broken metal and only One roller. (The Other was down The door). So far so good, now I will get The part and refit it.

Contributor

Hi there!

Just to let you know that I am now the proud owner of a decent opening C3 door! :)
Thank you for advising me on this subject. Just one additional note that might be helpful for
anyone facing this problem. In the local market it was not very easy to find the part-number (and I wasn't
willing to wait for the eBay purchase delivery so I went for a round on the local scrapyards).

And I found that as the C3 Door check strap is very demanded it's very difficult to find it around. Following
one of the sellers advise, I checked the same part for the Peugeot 206 model (5 Euro), and they're exactly the same (even
the engraved part numbers are the same). So, if running around for this part, you can have another solution. After washing
and carefully greasing it, the little devil was put in place (yeah, I had to mount it upside down to realize that was not the
correct position). ;)

Thanks again for your help

Pedro Aniceto
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Good to hear of your success and a useful tip about alternative parts from Peugeot.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Contributor

Just remembered to let you gus know that now my OTHER door check strap just said "bye" to this poor world... I wonder if they are built to last for only 400.000 Km... :(