Dificulty to reduce gears (e.g. 4th -> 3rd)

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: duduspot

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 125000
Trim Level: Exclusive Plus
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hello guys, first of all, sorry in advance if my english is not the best!

The problem with my Citroen C3 is this: When I'm riding my car I can increase shifts quite good with no big efort but when I try to reduce gears and if there is not a rapid change in rpm (like if the motor is idling). This problem is quiet confusing.

As I said, increase shift is easy but reducing with the motor idling, sometimes I need to almost stop the car. I can reduce well if for example I'm in 4th and suddendly leave the gas pedal and change to 3rd. If the motor goes idle (I think this is the word) I almost need to stop the car to reduce gear.

Does anyone has this problem?
Please ask if you do not understand my words.

Thanks & Regards

Owner of a Citroen C3 1.4hdi 2002 exclusive
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi duduspot

I don't have the problem, it doesn't seem to be common to the C3.

But my thoughts are that your clutch could be faulty, not worn friction plates, but release bearing/clutch plate springs problem. With the mileage of your C3, is it the original clutch?

Other problems could be the clutch slave cylinder, maybe has air in the system (shares reservoir with the brakes) or a problem with the gear linkage being worn.

And it would be worth checking the gearbox oil, or just changing it for fresh new oil, this may help https://citroenc3owners.com/diesel-citro ... -t813.html
My Name: duduspot

Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 125000
Trim Level: Exclusive Plus

Hello,
With the mileage of your C3, is it the original clutch?
I dont know, I already bought my C3 with 120000 miles. But when I bought it I didnt had the problem. It is getting worse.
And it would be worth checking the gearbox oil, or just changing it for fresh new oil
I never checked the oil level. It seem to be not easy to do.
One thing I realized is that when the car is "warm" (riding some kms), I notice less dificulty to reduce gears than when it just comes out of the garage.
Maybe it can be the oil...

What do you think?

Of course I will take the car to a garage but is woth to know in advance what the car can have to not be fooled.

Thanks & regards
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

C3CAR wrote:I never checked the oil level. It seem to be not easy to do.
One thing I realized is that when the car is "warm" (riding some kms), I notice less dificulty to reduce gears than when it just comes out of the garage.
Maybe it can be the oil...
It could be the oil or the oil level.

Checking the level is done by adding more oil to the gearbox until its full, not so difficult.

You may be better off draining all the gearbox oil out and refilling with new oil. You can see if the level was low by measuring the oil drained and check the colour, texture and smell of the old oil compared with the new.

It will be interesting to hear what the garage say.