Cruse Control works only in 4th gear

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: tsek

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 90000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi.
I bought a used C3 2002 before one month.
The cruise control works perfect with the 4th gear.
With the 5th gear, I hear the sound when activated, but nothing happens when pressing the + or pause bottons.
The speed I have in 5th gear is more than 120km.
Any suggestions ?

Thank you.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

tsek wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:00 pm Hi.
I bought a used C3 2002 before one month.
The cruise control works perfect with the 4th gear.
With the 5th gear, I hear the sound when activated, but nothing happens when pressing the + or pause bottons.
The speed I have in 5th gear is more than 120km.
Any suggestions ?

Thank you.
Hello

I have not seen this before.

Sometimes when I had the cruise not working, it affects fourth and fifth not one or the other.

Lexia tool can see the signals from the switches on the steering wheel, if the cruise is active, but I haven't seen much more information about it, so I couldn't even suggest any way to diagnose it :cry:

The strange thing is that the car doesn't even know which gear it is in on a manual, so I can't see why it would work in 4th and not in 5th
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: routemaster1

C3 Master
Model: C3 2017-on. The new C3
Year: 2019 (19)
Engine Size: 1.2
Mileage: 300
Trim Level: Flair
Gearbox: Manual 6 speed
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: EB2DT-EB2ADT PureTech 3-Cylinder (110 PS)

I don't understand why this should be happening. However I have had 6 Citroens 4 with 6 speed manual, one 5 speed manual and one 6 speed EGS. All of the cars knew exactly which gear they were in as they all have had gear change indicators. The first 4 had cruise on 4th, 5th, and if fitted 6th. The newer ones will set in 3rd as well, presumably due to the increase in 20 mph zones. All except the 19 reg C3 switch off the cruise when using the clutch to change gear.
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

As Arfur said, the early C3's manual gear box did not communicate the selected gear. The closest was the sensodrive but the selected gear was communicated from the gearbox ECU not the actual gearbox. Same with the AL4 autos. Arfur should know, look at his stats. :D
While I have not tried it, I believe there is a speed warning at 120 KMH. I can legally do 110KMH on some highways around here, but I don't feel like doing 120 just to prove a point. So I would not be surprised if the cruise control can't be set or drops out above 120.
Let me get this straight, you do not shift into 5th before you get to 120KMH? Ouch! Poor little engine! :o

I don't know if there are any "oldies" on here but I remember an novelty song called "Beep, Beep. The little Nash Rambler" by the Playmates. Hmm I wonder why that comes to mind? :lol: