Creaking front suspension.

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: routemaster1

C3 Master
Model: C3 2017-on. The new C3
Year: 2019 (19)
Engine Size: 1.2
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 300
Trim Level: Flair
Gearbox: Manual 6 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: EB2DT-EB2ADT PureTech 3-Cylinder (110 PS)

Car is a 19 reg C3 1.2 110bhp petrol.

I've had a few issues with this car which I don't think I have posted about. Right from the start the steering didn't feel right and the steering wheel was off centre. Diagnosed as tracking, which was done. We have done ~21.,000 miles with the original tyres which have worn evenly and not excessively, and although the car handles alright, there have been occasions where the steering seemed to go a little off centre to the left or to the right. I suppose if it weren't for Covid I'd have done something about it sooner.

As the car was due for its annual service, and as I'd noticed creaking from the area of the nearside front wheel I mentioned it, and they found a worn top strut bearing which was replaced under warranty. I haven't used the car for a few days but I took it out today. The steering now seems to feel more accurate and no hint of the steering being off centre, but unfortunately the creak is still there. It isn't very loud, but it is still there. You can hear it when reversing off my drive with full right lock and moving forward with left lock (by that I mean when you actually turn the steering wheel, not as you move with the lock applied). So I had my wife turn the steering lock to lock whilst stationary and listening at the wheel. Unfortunately of course you can only do this with the engine running, and the engine noise makes it difficult to hear. Booked in again Friday next week.
My Name: Ozvtr

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Creaking sounds generally come from rubber-on-metal components like the control arm bushes.
However that creaking tends to be associated with suspension movement but stops when the suspension is not moving. If the creaking goes all the time the car is moving it will have something to do with the tyres or drive line. Lastly is creaking when the steering is moved. This could be the upper mounts but you said they were replaced.

You say the creaking occurs as you turn the steering. But it stops as soon as you stop turning the steering wheel? Going forward to the left, backwards to the right? Sounds like a steering rack bush. Is it coming from a point just in front of the passengers feet? Or further over towards the wing?

Which side did they replace the strut bearing?

C3 Master

Ozvtr wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:40 pm Creaking sounds generally come from rubber-on-metal components like the control arm bushes.
However that creaking tends to be associated with suspension movement but stops when the suspension is not moving. If the creaking goes all the time the car is moving it will have something to do with the tyres or drive line. Lastly is creaking when the steering is moved. This could be the upper mounts but you said they were replaced.

You say the creaking occurs as you turn the steering. But it stops as soon as you stop turning the steering wheel? Going forward to the left, backwards to the right? Sounds like a steering rack bush. Is it coming from a point just in front of the passengers feet? Or further over towards the wing?

Which side did they replace the strut bearing?
Passenger side (RHD). Creaking occurs when stationary and going from lock to lock and at other times when applying steering input. Yesterday I was arriving home, slowing down to turn hard left on to my drive, and it was particularly noticeable. Brakes not applied whilst turning wheel. As I think I said, it is in again on Friday.

C3 Master

Second post today regarding an ongoing issue. As well as the blind spot issue in another post, my C3 has just been in for the third time due to creaking nearside suspension when going from lock to lock. The first time, they found a worn strut top bearing which was replaced under warranty. Second time, greased N/s anti roll bar bush, customer to test. Needless to say, it was the same, getting marginally worse over a few days, and starting to get a small knock when slowing down and gently applying power.

So this time 'Confirmed fault, found TSB related, will require replacement of both front struts due to cracking, requires replacement of additional nuts and bolts, will require further testing after replacement' So hopefully one more visit (4 in all) may see the end of this issue.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

routemaster1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:19 pm Second time, greased N/s anti roll bar bush, customer to test.
This doesn't sound right.

You don't grease bushes.

Sounds like they are fobbing you off.

routemaster1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:19 pm So this time 'Confirmed fault, found TSB related, will require replacement of both front struts due to cracking, requires replacement of additional nuts and bolts, will require further testing after replacement' So hopefully one more visit (4 in all) may see the end of this issue.
TSB - Technical Service Bulletin, constantly updated list of known faults :)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)