Cover under engine

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: scotchegg75

Hi all

Not sure what it is exactly called, but the plastic tray underneath my engine is rather worse for wear, and mostly held on by cable ties that keep failing !

Is there any point to keeping it there or will I be better off removing it?

Thanks
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

scotchegg75 wrote:Hi all

Not sure what it is exactly called, but the plastic tray underneath my engine is rather worse for wear, and mostly held on by cable ties that keep failing !

Is there any point to keeping it there or will I be better off removing it?

Thanks
Keep it to protect the engine from damage by stray stones and debris from the road.

You problem is that the original factory clips have been replaced by cable ties :(

The correct clips are available in ebay (here) cheaply. but you will need more than 5 for the full kit.

the male part of the clip
Citroen C3 under engine tray clips
Citroen C3 under engine tray clips
and they come with a corresponding female part which attaches to the car.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: scotchegg75

Thanks - it finally gave up today on the motorway so I had to remove it. As you can see it has lost bits and some of the fixing holes have broken !!

Think a visit to eBay is in order for a new one.....

Citroen C3 under engine tray replacement
Citroen C3 under engine tray replacement
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

scotchegg75 wrote:Thanks - it finally gave up today on the motorway so I had to remove it. As you can see it has lost bits and some of the fixing holes have broken !!
Yep, it looks a mess compared to a new one :(

and only around £25 on ebay (here) via Poland :shock:
citroen C3 under engine splash guard
citroen C3 under engine splash guard
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: saad-jay

Contributor

Wouldn't use those Citroen clips, as there tend to just fall off after a while. A nut and bolt is a lot better
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

saad-jay wrote:Wouldn't use those Citroen clips, as there tend to just fall off after a while. A nut and bolt is a lot better
The tray needs to come off for each service. The quick release clips do save a bit of time.

I have found a full set of clips when fitted correctly on an undamaged engine under-tray stay fixed between services.