Coolant questions

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

soewhaty wrote:Thank you! It's all good then. Only one last problem? Is it NOT possible to flush the whole system completely and remove all 7 liters from the old coolant and put in new 7 liters? I'm asking cos the mechanic said that at most he could empty 3.5 liters. The rest 3.5l he just left in the system cos he could not remove them. Said something is left in the radiators, something left sth else, and so on and so forth. I guess he just left gravity do it's thing. Then he just topped up with 3.5l of the above-mentioned new coolant ready mix.

All that didn't make too much sense to me, though. Isn't Arfur Dent's post #4 from here - citroen-c3-tips/citroen-c3-coolant-t40.html supposed to show exactly that all 7 liters CAN and prolly should be removed and then fresh, new 7l have to be put in?
You can get more than 3.5 Litres out if you open up a few more pipes start at the thermostat. Flushing is good to remove all the old coolant, use a hose pipe and force tap water through. Flushing is recommended by the coolant manufacturers and it makes sense to remove all the old coolant out before adding the new.

7 litres for some petrol engines, 6 for other petrols and the diesels are a bit less than 6.
My Name: rukadesigns

Contributor
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 200000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)

soewhaty wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:41 am Thanks for the reply! So eventually they put coolant which is between green and blue ... more or less cyan. That's what they said was supposed to be the right one for Citroen and Peugeot and that's the same color coolant that was in the system from the previous owner. Surprised me, after what I read in this thread about the color, but what can I do.

Furthermore I cannot be sure that the coolant they placed is OTA, but I have pics of it and either I cannot see where i says OTA or it simply isn't OTA. See attachments. Being one from Citroen one would expect that it is the right coolant, but what do I know ...

20160803_175805.jpg

20160803_175757.jpg
hello, that is the right long life coolant for peugeot citroen, including citroen c3 and it has a light blue color, its OAT + molybdate, also called Lobrid Freecor DSC.

the red oat one that are mentioned in this forum are suitable too, but its a lot cheaper to get the original peugeot/citroen concentrate 9735K you (your mechanic) got and mix with pure distilled water at your taste/needs .

ref/quantity
9735K4 --1L
9735K1 -- 2L
9735K0 --5L
9735j9 -- 20l
9735j8 -- 210l

(these two last ones more suitable for garages)

You can check datasheet of this coolant here https://www.arteco-coolants.com/en/syst ... ish_05.pdf
My Name: soewhaty

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2006 (06)
Engine Size: 1.4
Mileage: 89000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)

rukadesigns wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:13 pmhello, that is the right long life coolant for peugeot citroen, including citroen c3 and it has a light blue color, its OAT + molybdate, also called Lobrid Freecor DSC.

the red oat one that are mentioned in this forum are suitable too, but its a lot cheaper to get the original peugeot/citroen concentrate 9735K you (your mechanic) got and mix with pure distilled water at your taste/needs.
Thanks for the reply! Appreciate the input :)
My Name: kevin7219

Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 50000
Trim Level: VTR+
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi all, new to the forum. I have owned a Picasso C3 for 5 years now. I had the front wheels up on ramps today to change the coolant. Followed the Haynes instructions for draining etc but when refilling, it only takes a litre of new coolant. Is this because all of the coolant was not drained because of it being on an angle at the front? The heater blows hot as it should etc. Many thanks.
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi Welcome.

First up, how much coolant drained out? If only 1 litre drained out, you wouldn't expect that you could put more in.
If you drained out 4-6 litres (or so) then yes there is a problem.
The car should be on a flat level surface (not jacked up).
I know that the previous post is long, but try and read it and pay attention to the tips about coolant link. In particular the part about fabricating a "header tank" for refilling the expansion tank. So you need to get the level of the coolant above the top of the expansion tank. This "head pressure" forces coolant through the system. Without doing this you will not get all of the coolant back into the system! You can make this "header tank" from an old milk container, or drink container...or whatever will fit into the neck of the expansion tank!
You will also need to get all of the air out of the system. There are 2 "bleed" points in the system. One on the heater hoses connectors where they pass through the fire wall and one on the engine at the thermostat housing. These need to be unscrewed and the air expelled until just coolant comes out.