Clutch problem

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Ivanka77

Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2010 (60)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 17000
Trim Level: Vibe
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: Yes

My wife bought her diesel c3 in May (60 plate with 14k miles). She has driven less than 3000 miles in that time and took it to the local dealer a few days ago because of a problem with the clutch which she described as having a really high biting point and was starting to slip when under load.

As expected the dealer diagnosed a worn clutch (at 17000 miles!?!?!?). We assumed that this would be taken care of under warranty, how wrong we were. Apparently the fact that the clutch is worn after so few miles is entirely my wife's fault and is no reflection of any kind of problem with the clutch itself or the materials from which it is made. The fact that she has had several cars without similar issues I think shows she's not unusually hard on clutches.

We called Citroen head office and spoke to customer services there (they ought to be called something other than customer service!) and got a very unhelpful 'not our problem' type response.

Is the clutch wearing out so early a common problem or have we just been unlucky. If anyone else has had a similar experience grateful if you could advise if and how this was resolved.

All comments greatly appreciated.
My Name: alsie2

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2008 (08)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 37
Trim Level: Cachet
DPF: No

Hard one this as previous owner may have kept his foot on clutch pedal.
I had a similar problem, previous owner only did 2,000 but rode the clutch, 10,000 on my part and she went pop.
There is very little cover on warranties( for anything really )for clutches and given the short milage above the dealer can claim you did the damage especially if it worked well when you first drove the car.
If you read the cover dealers give there is not a lot, er, covered and lets face it the dealer has no idea what the car has been treated like. A very grey area indeed.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Is the clutch wearing out so early a common problem or have we just been unlucky. If anyone else has had a similar experience grateful if you could advise if and how this was resolved.
Seems to be a problem to a few cars on this forum, so you are not alone.

Have a look at Citroen C3 slipping clutch problem and Citroen C3 clutch biting point is high to see some other clutch worn too early posts.

Experienced Member

Its the old story with all machines. The assembler orders parts ( clutch and any other part you can think of ) and sometimes tries to cut the cost so a batch of faulty clutches etc turn up later in the life of the machine. At this point as the machine has been used by two people who can prove libility.
To illustrate the point, at a local car lease co i saw a member of staff turning round two just delivered Lupo's and banging them in reverse before they had stopped going forward. So what could VW say if the gearbox failed when the next owner gets the car in a years time. So it could be the fault of anyone of the above, so unless you have a warranty that covers the clutch i think you are on your own.Sorry.Futher to all that just looked at the warranty i got with my C3 twenty months ago and it excludes wear and tear items, brakes, clutch tyres etc despite the dealership creating the impresion of a good backup.
If you want that kind of support you should ask to see the warrranty before doing a deal.
By the way lets have a bit of humanity and let us know how you got on with this problem as a lot of people hit the forum in anger and then never close the story.
My Name: Ivanka77

Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2010 (60)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 17000
Trim Level: Vibe
DPF: Yes

Update:
We've also been back to the 'supermarket' we bought it from as they sold it with balance of manufacturers warranty but didn't give us a copy so we didn't know what was excluded. Their response 'we inspected the car before sale & no clutch problem' so no surprises when they also say not our problem.

Now considering paying for an independent inspection/report as we have the original parts still, if that supports our view that not down to us then we'll go back to dealer one last time with that before starting proceedings in small claims court.

It's not such much the money (though at £500 that is important), more pi55ed off that something so significant can go wrong at such a low mileage so more of a point of principle.

Experienced Member

Thanks for your reply, wish you well with your case. If you win you could create a precedent.
Would like to know how this subject is covered in the USA and the rest of Europe.
My Name: Easy Driver

Contributor

Hi Avanka77, just read your post I had exactly the same problem, same year of C3 and model. Unfortunately, through arguing with the dealer and Citroen UK I ended up with a heart attack. My clutch went at 19k miles, they said it was down to wear & tear. Nothing but a shower of B*******. I posted my experience on here earlier this year, I have not been the only person on here who has had this problem, I didn't do anything, apart from give my story to friends, relatives and managed to change peoples minds regarding renewing their Citroens at the local dealer, they lost 6-7 sales. Let us know how you get on at the small claims court. Ian