clutch, has a vague biting point and can judder from time to time

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Dr Diesel

Contributor
Model: C3 2013-2017 Facelift A51
Year: 2014 (14)
Engine Size: 1.2
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 45000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: EB2F PureTech 3-Cylinder (82 PS)

I have a query which occurred around the same time as another problem: Accelerator peddal problem/pedal return spring but regarding the clutch, It has a vague biting point and can judder from time to time. As its hydraulically operated via a shared reservoir with the brake system, could the fluid be at the end of its life and become hydroscopic? It only judders occasionally when moving off, not in reverse or any other gear, so I'm thinking the wearing surfaces are ok
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Dr Diesel wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:00 pm I have a query which occurred around the same time as another problem: Accelerator peddal problem/pedal return spring but regarding the clutch, It has a vague biting point and can judder from time to time. As its hydraulically operated via a shared reservoir with the brake system, could the fluid be at the end of its life and become hydroscopic? It only judders occasionally when moving off, not in reverse or any other gear, so I'm thinking the wearing surfaces are ok
Is the pedal bar secure?

It carries the brake and clutch pedal, possibly the accelerator if you have a mechanical one, there may be a connection.

The reservoir is shared, not the fluid as such. You won't get moisture in the clutch hydraulic system unless you are putting water in the reservoir and then bleeding a lot of fluid from the slave cylinder bleed.

It wouldn't do any harm to have the fluid changed and it will be an easy fix if that was the cause.
My Name: Dr Diesel

Contributor
Model: C3 2013-2017 Facelift A51
Year: 2014 (14)
Engine Size: 1.2
Mileage: 45000
Engine name: EB2F PureTech 3-Cylinder (82 PS)

Thanks for the prompt reply, I will call to the fluid tested in the next couple of days as i'm working from home and will; not be driving the car, It looks as if the accelerator is a drive by wire as I can see a block connector at the top of the unit.

I was looking at having the clutch bled as there may be air in the system, will there be some form of heat transfer from the slave cylinder/release bearing assembly?
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hello

No heat transfer from the release bearing because the chunky clutch fork would sink any heat. I am sure you would be getting a lot of noise from the bearing if it was bad enough to generate significant heat.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: zebedee2001

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2009 (59)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 130000
Trim Level: Airdream+
Engine name: DV4 diesel (70 PS)

The clutch on mine has felt a bit weird recently. I had the gearbox out over the weekend due to changing the inout shaft bearing. I repalced the clutch about 20,000 miles ago. THe clutch fork pivot had worn through & one of the plastic clip holding it had snapped. I've bought a complete new fork (I know you can but just the ball lip/housing, I bought one & it looks crap quality).

20,000 miles ago my slipping clutch showed up when accelerating hard in 4th or going up a hill in 4th. Revs rise sharply then fell back down quickly.