Climate control won't turn off!

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: spudit2003

hi

I recently got given my parents 53reg C3 Exclusive 1.4HDi 16v (92) after my old AX met a new astra at rather high speed.

my parents have had it for 3 yrs and we havent had many problems except the CD player got stuck just after we got it, and has stayed like that.

Since i got it the climate control seems to just stay on regarless what manual controls i put in, i think the aircon still turns on and off (but am not 100%) but changing where the air comes out does nothing, the only way to stop air coming out the face vents is to put it on windscreen demists, but of course that makes loads of noise and more air i dont want. even if it turn the fan right down so the screen goes off it makes no difference. the recirculate button still works i think cos the gear for it is broken and it makes a noise. temperature control still works.

this is what happens when i turn it on:
starts off changing the flap to take air from outside (makes noise), then the speed of air on face increases for a few seconds before going back down, often hear the recirculate flap noise again.
then continues to blow air quite fast on the face, i obvs turn the vents away but it still makes alot of noise, the fan speed (displayed) is usually between 1/2 and 1 1/12, but it doesnt seem to make a difference to the actual speed. the vents in the footwell seem to be on quite powerful as well.
if i change the temp, the footwell vents change quickly, but unless its extreme the face ones dont change much (i think this is normal for climate control to continue blowing cool air on the face).

what do i need to fix? I have a haynes manual somewhere but can't find it atm, if theres anything in there could you tell me the section number. or if anyone knows where the problem lies. i have read that some people say replace the blower motor but that is usually for full speed fans, this one isnt full speed, it just on too much, to me it would seem that the climate control unit is at fault. but knowing the complexity of the C3's electronics nothing would surpise me.

thanks in advance

Lewes
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi Lewes

I would tackle this in one of two ways, depending on what I could get my hands on.
1st way would be to get the lexia fault code reader connected up and get the codes out. It may direct you to the right area to find the fault.

or, the 2nd way, I would try swapping out the air con control panel with one from another car (or a reclaimed one, that works).

I agree with you about the blower motor, as you have said, its not blowing all the time on full. Its more of a control problem, like the Citroen C3 air con (climate control panel), inside temperature sensor or a mixture of a sensor and a control motor.

Citroen C3 Climate Control panel
Citroen C3 Climate Control panel
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Diana Gecaite suggests, in the facebook comment, this part: Citroen C3 Heater Blower Resistor (on eBay) from having a similar problem and solving it with this part.