Climate control problems

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: headlight

Top Contributor
Model: NA
Year: 2024 (74)
Engine Size: NA
Fuel Type: NA
Trim Level: NA
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: Steering wheel on the left
Engine name: DV4 diesel (70 PS)

Let me introduce myself first, im Erik, 21 years old and I live in The Netherlands. Last week I bought my first car (I allready have two years driving experience, having done near 3 thousand miles per week in a company car). Its a C3 1.4 HDI Attraction with pretty much full option.

The car does have a few issues however, wich im trying to solve. First problem is the Climte Control. The airco is not working, there is a buzz comming from next to the stereo and there was a loud clicking noise behind the glovebox. I wasnt able to find much information on these issues so I investigated some things myself.

The buzzing noise is the airsensor, it has a small fan to it, I assume to draw air past the sensor. No big deal, least I know its not something bad. Second I found the actuator for selecting recirculating or outside air was broken so I replaced it.

The aircon issue however im not to sure of. I dont hear the compressor kicking in, nor is the fan spinning up. The fan did make me wonder if it might be broken and causing the issue. It seems the car only has one fan so I let the car sit idle for near an hour to see if it would kick in. The cauge indicated the engine to be at operating temperature, and I could feel the heat comming off the engine, but the fan never started spinning. I have been using the car for two weeks now in a heatwave and it never overheated or showed any sign of something being off, but it does worry me.

I also found with the climat control set to manual with the lowest temperature (15 degrees, otherwise it says "low" and enables the a/c) there was still kinda warm air comming from the vents. The dashboard in the footwell (bottom of centre console) is getting really hot, as if the heater is still doing something

I will have the system checked by a garage anytime soon, but I also like to do some troubleshooting myself. Hoping someone can help me
2007 Peugeot Partner Zenith
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi headlight
headlight wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:55 pm The aircon issue however im not to sure of. I dont hear the compressor kicking in, nor is the fan spinning up. The fan did make me wonder if it might be broken and causing the issue. It seems the car only has one fan so I let the car sit idle for near an hour to see if it would kick in. The cauge indicated the engine to be at operating temperature, and I could feel the heat comming off the engine, but the fan never started spinning. I have been using the car for two weeks now in a heatwave and it never overheated or showed any sign of something being off, but it does worry me
There are two fans. One for the engine cooling and its at the front of the engine bay and the second one is inside the cabin centre console and this draws air from outside to be heated or cooled by the heat exchangers.

If your engine cooling fan didn't work correctly then your engine temperature gauge will rise (more bars) and you would notice this while driving.

I don't think this is linked to your climate control problem, but without reading the codes (info here), you may not find out.
headlight wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:55 pm I also found with the climat control set to manual with the lowest temperature (15 degrees, otherwise it says "low" and enables the a/c) there was still kinda warm air comming from the vents. The dashboard in the footwell (bottom of centre console) is getting really hot, as if the heater is still doing something

I will have the system checked by a garage anytime soon, but I also like to do some troubleshooting myself. Hoping someone can help me
A garage will be able to check the level of refrigerant in the A/C system and this is most probably the reason the A/C doesn't work. They can refill the system but if its got a leak it will need repairing and then refilling.

Good advice for buying a C3 is to test everything before handing over any money and if something doesn't work, offer a lower price to compensate having to buy parts and pay labour costs to repair it.
My Name: headlight

Top Contributor
Model: NA
Year: 2024 (74)
Engine Size: NA
Fuel Type: NA
Trim Level: NA
LHD or RHD: Steering wheel on the left
Engine name: DV4 diesel (70 PS)

C3CAR wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:26 pm Hi headlight
headlight wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:55 pm The aircon issue however im not to sure of. I dont hear the compressor kicking in, nor is the fan spinning up. The fan did make me wonder if it might be broken and causing the issue. It seems the car only has one fan so I let the car sit idle for near an hour to see if it would kick in. The cauge indicated the engine to be at operating temperature, and I could feel the heat comming off the engine, but the fan never started spinning. I have been using the car for two weeks now in a heatwave and it never overheated or showed any sign of something being off, but it does worry me
There are two fans. One for the engine cooling and its at the front of the engine bay and the second one is inside the cabin centre console and this draws air from outside to be heated or cooled by the heat exchangers.

If your engine cooling fan didn't work correctly then your engine temperature gauge will rise (more bars) and you would notice this while driving.

I don't think this is linked to your climate control problem, but without reading the codes (info here), you may not find out.
headlight wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:55 pm I also found with the climat control set to manual with the lowest temperature (15 degrees, otherwise it says "low" and enables the a/c) there was still kinda warm air comming from the vents. The dashboard in the footwell (bottom of centre console) is getting really hot, as if the heater is still doing something

A garage will be able to check the level of refrigerant in the A/C system and this is most probably the reason the A/C doesn't work. They can refill the system but if its got a leak it will need repairing and then refilling.

Good advice for buying a C3 is to test everything before handing over any money and if something doesn't work, offer a lower price to compensate having to buy parts and pay labour costs to repair it.
Sorry for the late reply, I totally missed your answer :oops:

When buying the car I knew the a/c wasnt working, so I got 300 euro off the allready cheap asking price.

I assume tge refriderant is low too, but the heater still being hot with the temperature off seemed odd to me, making me wonder if there is something else wrong as well. Today I noticed with the control set to auto with the a/c on there seems to be a new faint noise in the dashboard, but I could not find out where. Felt like it was a flap or actuator or something.

I checked all servo's on the rightside of the dashboard, so I know it must be somewhere else
2007 Peugeot Partner Zenith