child lock turning its self on.

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: MATTHEW LOMAX

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 120000
Trim Level: Rhythm
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hello and happy new year to one and all.

my wife's car has developed an issue with the child lock it basically will just turn itself on and it has done this twice within past 2 weeks.
Now each time it has done this its drained the battery and it hasn't helped that its been so cold lately so ive investigated today the wiring and the switch itself are all in what seem to be good condition so ive located the relay (wow what a faff that is) its hidden above the diagnostic port but you have to remove the glove box lid and liner and go in from the right hand side of the diag port. now ive kept the relay out for now until i could happen throw some light on to the situation as to what could be causing this to happen.
so basically does anyone have any other ideas what could be making this happen and also will leaving the relay out throw up more problems.
Also i have had the relay open and it seems clean and the spring seems to be working fine.

its a c3 2003 lx 1.4hdi 114000 miles
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

MATTHEW LOMAX wrote: my wife's car has developed an issue with the child lock it basically will just turn itself on and it has done this twice within past 2 weeks.
Now each time it has done this its drained the battery and it hasn't helped that its been so cold lately so ive investigated today the wiring and the switch itself are all in what seem to be good condition so ive located the relay (wow what a faff that is) its hidden above the diagnostic port but you have to remove the glove box lid and liner and go in from the right hand side of the diag port. now ive kept the relay out for now until i could happen throw some light on to the situation as to what could be causing this to happen.
so basically does anyone have any other ideas what could be making this happen and also will leaving the relay out throw up more problems.
Hi MATTHEW LOMAX, happy new year!

The child lock relay circuit has given problems before and no solution has been found :(

https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-q ... 3-t76.html

You did well to find the relay, other than a visual inspection, try operating it with 12v across the coil and measure the resistance across the contacts. This can give you a better indication of the relays performance. Same goes for the switch, test with a multimeter or ohms/continuity tester.

If the car locks and unlocks from inside and outside as an when it should, I don't see that leaving the relay out cause any more problems than having it in.

Yiu can have a look for a matching relay here, if you just wanted to replace it.
BITRON 232303 Child Lock Relay Citroen C3
BITRON 232303 Child Lock Relay Citroen C3
The casing shows the circuit diagram, complete with the flywheel diode.