changing steering wheel

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: BillWSS

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2006 (56)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 40
Trim Level: Touch
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi. Looking to change the stock 2003 wheel from my c3 to another c3 wheel, wondering if I would need a kit or would it be plug and play.. the wheel doesn't come with an airbag and the airbag looks like the same kinda size. I have attached the one I'm looking at buying.

Citroen C3 Steering Wheel Swap
Citroen C3 Steering Wheel Swap
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

BillWSS wrote:the wheel doesn't come with an airbag and the airbag looks like the same kinda size. I have attached the one I'm looking at buying.
The 2010 C3 and the DS3 air bag look similar, with different detailing but the 2002 C3 and DS3/2010 C3 driver air bags look completely different. I Can't see a 2002 C3 air bag fitting a DS3/2010 C3 steering wheel.

2003 Citroen C3 drivers air bag
2003 drivers air bag from a C3
2003 drivers air bag from a C3

2010 Citroen C3 drivers air bag
Citroen C3 2010 (DS) Drivers air bag
Citroen C3 2010 (DS) Drivers air bag
BillWSS wrote:Hi. Looking to change the stock 2003 wheel from my c3 to another c3 wheel,
I think you will be the first person here to fit such new style parts to such an old car, it will be interesting to see how it goes.

BillWSS wrote:wondering if I would need a kit or would it be plug and play.
I don't think you will find a 'kit'. What are you going to do about the air bag? 2010 airbag may differ in control over a 2002 air bag and the 2002 doesn't look like its going to get close to fitting properly.......
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Changing the steering wheel is one that your insurance company will want to know about, you're changing the car from its manufacturers specification.

I came unstuck on this when my son got his first car, a VW Polo. The steering wheel was a bit grubby and was only plastic as it was a base model car. I got him a GTi leather steering wheel, a brand new - old stock part, genuine VW, made specifically for the VW Polo by VW. When the insurance asked about modifications, I told them we'd fitted a new steering wheel, thinking nothing of it because it was a genuine part and I thought it was only a cosmetic change. To cut a long story short, I took it off in the end, the cost and hassle was beyond belief :!:
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol: