Central locking not working...

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Doublehelix

Contributor

Hi all,

I came home tonight and my central locking has stopped working. It will lock from the button on the dash but will not lock from the key fob. If I put the key in the door lock it will only lock the drivers door. Can anyone help?

Many thanks......
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi Doublehelix

You could try the trick of opening all the doors and the boot, switch on the ignition, switch ignition off, remove the key and close all the doors and the boot. Then try the fob again.

Other than that, you could try to reprogram the key to the car.

Assuming the fob battery is OK
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Doublehelix

Contributor

Hi,

Many thanks for the info Arfur Dent.

I'm a newbie to the Citroen C3 and did not know these tricks.

The battery in both of the key fobs are o.k. so it's got to be the central locking itself.

Actually, I left the unlocked car and after an hour I went back to it. Pushed the central locking button on the fob and..... hey presto! - it locked as if nothing had ever happened.

At least if this happens again and I'm not at home I can try the trick you said to get it locked.

- Brian.
My Name: zyckel

I have a similar problem with a 2004 C3 Desire. Last night we were unable to get out of the car as the central locking refused to unlock. No amount of button pushing either on the key fob or dash switch would unlock it. It makes a rather half-hearted clunk but the doors stay locked, both front and rear. We eventually managed to climb out of the windows.

Both key fobs are working as the central locking sounds like it's trying to lock/unlock and the indicators flash but all doors remain firmly locked. Only the driver's door can be unlocked manually with the key, all other doors remain firmly locked. The child lock button beside the radio is permantly illuminated if this means anything.

Is there a way to reset or initialise the central locking to unlock all of the doors? Or am I heading off to the main dealer and a large bill? I saw the earlier post about opening all of the doors and boot to reset it but I can't open anything.

Any suggestions appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

Welcome to the forum zyckel,

You could try resetting the BSI as this is the computer that controls the door locking motors.

this is the procedure,
reset the BSI on a Citroen C3

but, your problem sounds very familiar, and rather like Rogerborgs' issue with the central locking,
where he had central locking problems on the Citroen C3

Please do let us know how you get on.

So far it's not looking good. The BSI reset didn't work so the car has gone off to an independent dealer and the fault looks like it's the BSI module but he wants to do some more testing before confirming that. He's quoting about £300 to fix which sounds a bit steep, although it's probably for a new Citroen part.

The alternative is to get the module wiped and then to re-program it which iis around the £120 mark but involves up to a 2 week wait whilse the module is sent off. Or take a chance and get one off Ebay.

Gerry
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

Or take a chance and get one off Ebay.
I am pretty sure an eBay BSI on its own won't do you any good. The coding is restrictive, you also need the engine ECU and a transponder key would help.

Try BBA Reman for a price to test your BSI and quote for a repair (so no reprogramming is required)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

The car is now back from the spark. He has managed to unlock all the doors and only the driver's door now locks manually. I just have to remove the batteries from the key fobs to stop us locking it again accidentially. I'm inclined to run the car like that as there's nothing in it worth stealing, it can't be started without a key, and it can't be hot-wired so it's almost unstealable but my wife isn't too happy about it.

It looks like the BSI module is at fault but no-one is prepared to guarantee that so it may just be the first in a line of modules to be swapped until something fixes it (with the obviously escalating costs). I found a few wiring diagrams on the web and the BSI module looks like the culprit so I'll send it off for repair after the holidays if I can figure out how to remove it first. I've attached the diagram for anyone else who has a similar problem - it's in Spanish or French or something but you should be able to get the gist of it as most of it is just pictures.

Cheers
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi zyckel

Do you have an update on you locking problem?

It will be good to hear how you are getting on with it.

Thanks
My Name: Omz45

Model: C3 Pluriel - with or without roof
Year: 2005 (55)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 75000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: SensoDrive

Hi

I've got the same issue, press the unlock button and it clicks but the doors are still locked, very frustrating

Any progress on your car?