Central Locking - Key battery replacement

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: emmsmcp

Hi,
I've recently bought a 2003 C3 LX and I love it! :D I noticed when I was starting the car though the display read that the remote battery was low so I bought the correct battery and changed it. I no longer get this message, but twice since I have changed the battery I've not been able to lock the car when I need to using the fob. I've been trying to figure out if there's a pattern to when it doesn't work but I can't think of anything. The first time it happened was in a car park, I was figuring out how to get it locked for a good 15 minutes and all of a sudden the fob suddenly worked again. The second time was today but the car was on our drive so I just left it unlocked and came into the house, went out again after about 20 minutes anf the fob worked again. When I came into the house today I was getting ready to re-program the fob using instructions I've found on here, thinking that might help, and when I went back out to the car I didn't need to.

Also...when I bought the car I was given a second key but the seller told me it didn't work. I haven't checked the battery in it yet but it doesn't start the car and doesn't lock/unlock the car. Might it be that it simply needs a battery?

I know I've not given too much useful information but can anyone think of what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Emma.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Welcome to the forum emmsmcp.
emmsmcp wrote:Might it be that it simply needs a battery?
Well, there is one sure way to find out! - change the battery :D

If a new battery doesn't help, try re-synchronising the key to the car again by following these key reprogramming instructions. If they don't work then the key electronics may be broken.

If you are testing the key, working out why/why it doesn't lock/unlock etc, remove it from your key ring while doing the testing as the ring or bunch of keys may be causing a problem.

emmsmcp wrote:I was getting ready to re-program the fob using instructions I've found on here, thinking that might help, and when I went back out to the car I didn't need to.
But, maybe you do (need to). Have a go at reprogramming the keys to the car and then its done. If it fixes it, job done. If not, nothing lost.

Let us know how you get on!
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: emmsmcp

Yeah that's my plan, but just thought I'd ask while I was posting :lol:

Thanks I''ll have a go at the reprogramming, was just a bit worried in case it went wrong and I completely mess it up, so I can't make it any worse by giving it a go?
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

I can't make it any worse by giving it a go?
Read the instructions, read them again. Then follow them to the letter and you can be sure it won't get worse :roll:
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

The process outlined above is 're-syncing' the keys with the car not re-programming them. Its impossible to delete keys or add new ones without special equipment, computer software and codes.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol: