Car boot and back door's not opening ~_~

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: MrsZoidberg

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hiya. For some reason all of a sudden I can't open my car boot. And also back seat passengers can't open their doors from inside, I have to get out and open their doors from outside.
If anybody can help me I will be much greatful. Thanks.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi MrsZoidberg
back seat passengers can't open their doors from inside
I know its obvious, but have you tried activiating and deactivating the child locks to clear the problem? Activate and deactivate the internal central locking button?

If that doesn't fix the rear doors, you could be in for a long journey. The boot is controlled by the computer and the rear doors by the computer and the illusive 'Citroen C3 Child Lock Relay' (via fuse F16)

There is an onging (yet without a conclusion) about a similar problem: https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-q ... 3-t76.html which may give you some hints (like resetting the BSI)
My Name: MrsZoidberg

Mileage: 80000

Hi yes I did the lock button in the middle and also child lock. But so weird, today Iwent in my car today and I was able to open my boot and my car doors from the inside. So problem is fixed but I didn't do anything :s
My Name: Rogerborg

Contributor

Hi, I have a possibly related issue with my locks, although the boot was the one lock that kept functioning. I'd caution that the problem occurred a couple of times over the span of a few years when the battery ran low, but it resolved itself every time... until the one time it didn't, and the car deadlocked itself solid. :shock:

What I'd initially suggest is that you fully recharge the battery - but disconnect the +ve lead first. Do it the safe way: ignition off, doors closed, open the bonnet and wait 3 full minutes with no use of any vehicle remote in the area, then pop off the +ve connector.

If the problem occurs, I'd then suggest that you consider (safely) replacing the battery if you're in any doubt about its condition. You can get one delivered to your door for £40, and it's far cheaper than trying to diagnose these electronic issues once you've got a failed component.

Incidentally, I'm still unable to find the child lock relay itself - I'd love to know where it is, if you ever end up getting it replaced.
My Name: Rogerborg

Contributor

For future reference, I've just had a reply from Haynes saying:

"The child safety lock relay is mounted above the fuse box and to the left of the diagnostic socket."

I couldn't see a candidate there the last time that I looked, but I'll have another poke around. If I find it, I will commit to never referring to Haynes as the "Book of Lies" again. ;)
My Name: gmneye55

Hi,

Like previous owners I have problems with the boot unable to open. Normally it takes a couple of clicks to the central locking on my key to resolve issue. But now it has been almost a week that I'm unable to open the boot :( All I hear is a click, click sound. Is there a fuse I need to replace? All other locks seem to work fine.

Cheers -
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi gmneye55

There is no fuse for the tailgate lock/unlock on early models.
The handle switch goes to the BSI (fuse box in glove box) and the boot lock motor is also controlled by the BSI.

It would be worth checking that the switch in the handle works (check the resistance), test the electric unlock motor and inspect the wiring from the boot lock to the BSI.

What year is your C3?

The C3 Haynes manual is invaluable when looking for wiring diagrams

There are some boot lock motors here - on eBay they also have the boot switch on eBay too.
My Name: gmneye55

Thanks for suggestions C3CAR, however I am not mechanically inclined when getting to wiring! I don't believe there is a switch on taligate, just a handle. It's a 2003 model I bought used last year from a 'crook' dealer! yet license plate reads 2002 (car is all very legal though). My left signal goes faster too, I have a feeling now this is all wiring related :(
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

I don't believe there is a switch on taligate, just a handle.
Unless you have a pluriel, I can assure you that 2002-2009 models have a switch under the handle, its the bit that clicks when you apply pressure to the handle.

Lifting the handle operates the switch, this signals the BSI, the BSI decides whether or not to operate the unlocking motor which allows the boot to open.

2003 and 2002 models are the same. What is your 'ORGA' number from the passenger door shut?
You can find out about the ORGA/Birthday code here: https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... -t204.html

If you don't want to do the electrics, you could just change the 2 parts (switch and motor), doing a visual inspection of the wiring doesn't require electrical skills. With a good look and the 2 parts changed, you have only expensive (parts or time consuming) bits left.

My left signal goes faster too,
Oooh, are all the indicator lamps working?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)