Brake Pistons

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: trumpycam

Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2007 (07)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 50000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hi, I have an 07 1.6 Exclusive which needs some brake servicing. I am looking to buy a piston retractor tool, however in the Haynes manual it describes that the fronts you can use a G clamp and a piece of wood but the back you need a tool which rotates the piston at the same time? I would like to buy only one tool. Saw a Sealey kit on ebay from big red toolbox for $85 AU would this be OK. Funny enough my daughter has a MIni Cooper which also needs brake service and it's Haynes manual says almost the exact same words.
Thanks Joe
My Name: nikroc

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 93000
Trim Level: Touch

the front caliper piston can be pushed in by using a pair of water pump pliers or a g clamp.. I have used both and find both methods work fine. This is because the piston moves up and down under the hydraulic pressure of the brake fluid when up press on your brakes.

The rears however move in a spiral/screw rotation and need to be wound in with a special tool or if your lucky,a pair of long/needle nosed pliers.Again I have used both methods. The rear brakes have a dual purpose..stopping the car and applying the handbrake.

Before you start tho I would undo the brake fluid screw cap in the engine bay and put some towels etc around the area. As you move the pistons back in the fluid has to go somewhere and you could build up pressure in the reservoir and potentially blows seals. I said 'could'.

I would also spray a penetrating lubricant on the bleed nipples before you start as 'if' your planning on doing a brake service why not change the fluid at the same time?..
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

I have just done the rear pads on a C3 and one of these ebay ones made the job of getting the pistons back into the callipers a doddle.
Brake rewind tool on citroen C3 rear callipers
Brake rewind tool on citroen C3 rear callipers
nikroc wrote:Before you start tho I would undo the brake fluid screw cap in the engine bay and put some towels etc around the area. As you move the pistons back in the fluid has to go somewhere and you could build up pressure in the reservoir and potentially blows seals. I said 'could'.
If you use a brake pipe clamp (here) on the flexy pipe, attach some pipe to the bleed nipple and then slacken the nipple you when you operate the rewind tool you force the old brake fluid out of the system, rather than back into it.
My Name: trumpycam

Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2007 (07)

Hi Thanks for replies makes things easier when you know how things work. Manuals are great help but don't explain details. Links are good will get bits to do both cars.
Thanks again Joe
My Name: DevsAd

Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Diesel
DPF: Yes
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi.

Could anyone confirm the DIRECTIONs the pistons should be screwed in with the tool, please?

And is the off-side different to the near side?

Many thanks.
My Name: Stanleysteamer

Experienced Member
Model: C3 Pluriel - with or without roof
Year: 2004 (54)
Trim Level: NA
Gearbox: SensoDrive
Engine name: TU5 16-valve (110 PS)

Hi All

agree with the advice given here.

This is the precise box of kit to get, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-22p ... SwVGFZt5WR, or one very similar.

I had the problem on our Pluriel of the rear brakes squealing slightly all the time unless the brake was pressed. Ended up changing the pads and the fluid. This stopped it and has worked for other friends of mine on other cars who could not see another reason for the squeal. Something to do with the water all brake fluid ends up containing as it is hygroscopic. Apparently with heat this expands.

You wind the tool in clockwise on both sides.

If you use the same tool on the front pads, even though you do not need to turn the cylinder, (it has bits in there for cylinders that do not need turning) and if you use the clockwise threaded tool one side and the anti clockwise tool on the other, you can rest part of the tool on the caliper and the job becomes unbelievably easy. Absolutely one of the best tools I have ever bought.

I use the cheapo rubber tube with a slit in it and a nail or bolt in the end as a one way valve. Bought from Motobitz but probably available elsewhere.e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300mm-Solo-On ... 0345014236 I swear by it, I have got one of those systems you are supposed to be able to use with the air pressure from the spare tyre. Always had trouble with it and once ended up with the engine compartment covered in sprayed brake fluid, which did not put me in a good mood. Pop it over the bleed nipple, crack it open and put the end of the tube in an old jam jar, to collect the waste fluid. This bleeds the brakes and also makes changing the fluid much easier. Also, with a clamp on the flexible, neatly collects the fluid when spreading the pads and rewinding the cylinders back in. It really is worth changing the fluid. You need fluid for topping up anyway and the system does not hold much.

Hope this helps.

Experienced Member

And also do not push the fluid back up into the system, with ABS you could have a problem.
My Name: DevsAd

Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Diesel
DPF: Yes
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Thank you, Stanleysteamer, for the confirmation.

It was indeed clockwise for both as you said :)

What a 'mare... I bought a workshop CD for the C3 Picasso (which is actually the car I have - sorry to swear on your forum) which - seemingly - is the official Citroen item; it has all the repair timings and refers to the specific tools required for jobs, etc.

Guess what it said for this? Anti-bludy-clockwise...

I did this job today and got as far as the piston-pushing. I have the same - or near identical - rewind kit that you linked to, and can confirm it's superb - really excellent quality. But, would the piston turn anti-clock? Nope.

So I trawled the interweb for confirmation - nothing. Not ONE bludy post that mentioned the direction with any sense of authority! NOTHING!

I re-checked my CD - yup, that definitely says 'anti'.

Out I went again and tried anti - not too forcefully - and then I swapped to the clockwise. Well, it was clear right away that the piston was happy to move this way, so I continued... Easy peasy. Take it nice and easy too - let the piston O ring cope with the movement. Even pause for a few seconds every now and then - it seemed to help, with the restart being even smoother.

Like you, I open the bleed screw and allow fluid out that way. I do this not only because I've heard of the risk to the master cylinder from fluid being forced through it t'wrong way, but also because the fluid in the calliper gets more 'abuse' than the rest - it gets heated regularly, copes with rubber products from the O rings, etc.

Anyhoo, job jobbed - nice satisfying feeling :)

Oh, one other observation - the brake pipe leading to the calliper doesn't appear to be a true flexi - it's pretty darned rigid. I removed the calliper completely and had it sitting on a stand right beside the disc to work on, but I wouldn't have liked to have moved it much further.

Many thanks :D

Experienced Member

Hi Devsad,

Glad to have been of service. No-one can buy a Haynes manual for the Pluriel, so I just bought the Citroen C3 petrol manual, as it obviously contains a lot of the correct info, and the brakes thing there was absolutely fine. They do downloadable/online stuff for the Pluriel, but I have never tried them yet.

If you search the Haynes site it will tell you if there is anything for the Picasso, I tried to search but I do not know what year yours is, unless I submit this post and go back to the previous page.

Best of luck!