Boot Problem

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Softrix

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 50000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

I have a 03 Plate Petrol Citroen C3 which has an odd issue - I will try and explain as best possible.

While I am driving along I hear a noise as if the boot is not closed properly (especially on uneven road surfaces), I get out and boot will not open but if I press down as if I am closing the boot and retry, it it will open as normal. The noise drives me nuts, is this a lock change? - I have read somewhere these are known to go, has anyone else had this issue?

Apologies if this has been answered before, I did look around but couldn't find anything related to it.

Many Thanks
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Mileage: 79984
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi Softrix, welcome to the forum
I get out and boot will not open but if I press down as if I am closing the boot and retry, it it will open as normal.
Could it be that the boot lock and body catch are not correctly positioned? If the catch on the body is too far away you may not be engaging the lock fully and only when pressing the boot down and compressing the seals you get the lock and catch to come together enough?

Just a thought..

The boot body catch:
Citroen C3 Body Boot Catch
Citroen C3 Body Boot Catch

Thanks for the quick reply, its appreciated.

When I hear the knocking the boot is closed and locked, and cannot be opened so would that mean the lock is engaged fully? - when I hear this knocking the boot is still locked tight. I only know its in the lock area I am having issues with because if I attempt to open it you can hear the lock clicking as if it was releasing but the boot wont lift. However, as I mentioned in my last post, if I push down first and then click the button it will open.

If the car has not been driven since the boot was opened, it will continue to open and close without fault, but as soon as I go over uneven road it starts.. like it works loose or something.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Trim Level: Desire

Do you get any warnings on the dash about the boot/hatch being open?

If you are then it suggests that the lock isn't engaging; if you're not then possibly the lock or striker could be loose or broken.

Might also be worth looking at the hinges and hinge pins and the lifting/support struts. Look for anything loose, worn, broken or showing signs of movement/wear.

If all of the above are good then I'd suggest taking the door trim off and checking for loose parts inside the door.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Trim Level: Desire

If you gentle try to lift the boot without trying to open it, is there any movement/noise?
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

I get no warnings on the dash telling me the boot is open, and without trying to open it using the button it feels normal without any noise whatsoever - I only hear the noise while driving on a uneven road as if the boots not shut properly resulting in having to push down so that when i push the lock button it opens correctly.
My Name: MATTHEW LOMAX

Experienced Member
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 120000
Trim Level: Rhythm

hello id personally take the liner off the boot lid and have a look around if possible take the lock mechanism out give it a clean up. also can you make the car do the sound while its parked i.e rocking it, bouncing it, shacking rear bumper etc i only say this as my wifes c3 had a knock from the boot area and it turned out to be the 2 rear exhaust mounts were perished and the exhaust mount was knocking in the inner wheel arch liner.

Once I've been out in the car and pull up I can push and pull with a little force on the boot handle to get the same sound - its like the lock isn't fully engaged once ive driven the car, yet the boot is locked and cannot be opened without pushing on the boot release. Going back to my previous post though, i do have to first push down before clicking the lock release otherwise I just hear the clicking like the lock is trying to release but is somehow jammed.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far, its appreciated.